Acronis true Image

karltimber

Acronis true Image
I have used this to backup a copy of MCE and have saved the backup file to another HD.

But a friend wants to do the same but only has 1 hd in his pc.

Can you put the back onto the main HD??
If not - how do you make a hidden partition and will that work ?

Thx

Acronis true Image
I have used this to backup a copy of MCE and have saved the backup file to another HD.

But a friend wants to do the same but only has 1 hd in his pc.

Can you put the back onto the main HD??
If not - how do you make a hidden partition and will that work ?

Thx
as far as I know you can but if the main drive fails then you lose the backup a better solution is to back up to dvd it will probably take several but is far more secure. As for how to create a hidden partion this should be documented in the help file of acronis. You should also be able to download a manual from their web site. Another idea is to use a usb drive for the backup allthough it will take longer than an internal one, if you have a spare drive bay it is quite easy to install a second drive your self especialy if you have a sata port. Simply put the drive in the bay secure with screws supplied connect a spare power connector and insert the data cable into the port on the mother board then into the drive. If it is an IDE drive you may have to position a jumper on the drive to set it to slave or master, sata drives don`t require this before you start make sure the computer is uplugged from the mains and not just switched off via the power button of the computer also make sure you discharge any stactic you may have by thouching a earthed piece of bare metal souch as a metal appliance (plugged into the mains) or the copper piping of a rad as this should also be earthed

as far as i know you can but if the main drive fails how about a full stop once in a while? then you lose the backup a better solution is to back up to dvd it will probably take several but is far more secure as for how to create a hidden partion this should be documented in the help file of acronis you should also be able to download a manual from their web site another idea is to use a usb drive for the backup allthough it will take longer than an internal one if you have a spare drive bay it is quite easy to install a second drive your self especialy if you have a sata port simply put the drive in the bay secure with screws supplied connect a spare power connector and insert the data cable into the port on the mother board then into the drive if it is an ide drive you may have to position a jumper on the drive to set it to slave or master sata drives don`t require this before you star make sure the computer is uplug from the mains and not just switched off via the power button of the computer also make sure you discharge any stactic you may have by thouching a earthed piece of bare metal souch as a metal appliance (plugged into the mains) or the copper piping of a rad as this should also be earthed

An alternative is to buy an external USB hard drive for about [broken link removed] and regularly backup the TrueImage or Ghost image onto this. Advantage is you can keep it in a different location for extra security.

The external hard drive will be slightly more expensive than the internal but not excessively so.

You could then burn to DVD only the most important files e.g. pictures, purchased MP3s (if that's not an oxymoron), etc.

Last edited:
If you are talking about maintaining a bootable clone of your main hard drive then another option is . The free version will do a full image copy but you need to buy the full version for $40 to do subsequent incremental updates. I've used the free version to clone my laptop hard drive to another 2.5" drive and swap it in afterwards and it worked well. I'm not 100% sure about how it deals with multiple partitions on a drive but I was just doing the main one.

Back