Acer Aspire 5051 - Is this good ?

foxylady

I am looking at buying an acer aspire 5051 laptop for my teenage son for christmas and wondering what people think

These are the specs for it:

cpu mobile amd turion 64mk/36
lcd 14.1 crystalbrite
1024mb ram
dvr 2 ram
hdd 120gb
5 in 1 card reader
dvd super multi rewriter
56k modem
wireless
windows vista basic

and cost is €549

I have that exact model myself and its grand for internet and e-mail and storing photo's/music and the like.I had to remove the Norton security because it slowed it to a crawl particularly when starting up.I finally settled with Kaspersky security suite after trying many AV,s.Definitely not suitable for gaming or other stressful work.I paid a lot more than that sadly!!

I bought an aspire 7000 series last week (slightly diff spec ie 17" LCD etc) in Tesco, where it was at 599€ and with 30% tesco points bonus which meant it affectively cost me around 400€. Great deal and really good pc! Watch out if they have same deal this weekend.

Bought this same model recently in Tesco with the 30% off. It was v. good value for €385. Probably still is good value at €549. Vista runs a bit slow but is fine for non-intensive work like web, email, music, office etc. Happy with the one I bought so far.

Thanks for all the help folks. I missed out on the 30% offer in tesco becuas I couldnt make up my mind on which one to get, I also have the chopice of getting an iqon one but its an 06 model.

do not touch the iqon!!!!! Truly awful.I forgot to say that I'm using XP Media Centre(whatever that is) in my Acer.I had a option to "upgrade"to Vista basic but I declined!!!

do not touch the iqon!!!!! Truly awful.I forgot to say that I'm using XP Media Centre(whatever that is) in my Acer.I had a option to "upgrade"to Vista basic but I declined!!!
iQon were also [broken link removed] recently (and may still be?) so to buy from them might be foolhardy anyway...

Back