Acer 20Gb mp3 player for €93.20 delivered

Re: Acer 20Gb mp3 player w/FM radio for €93.20 delivered

Excellent deal - thanks DrMoriarty.

Just looking to see if I can find a travel charger before buying but not having much luck :( Do you know if its easy enough to transfer music files to it? Currently have a Sony and while its easy its very slow.

Nice one Dr M, shame delivery cost wasn't cheaper!

Cool that it has the radio too, and reading around reviews are generally positive.

Dr. Moriarty (or anyone else who ordered one of these MP3 players)...
just wondering if you received yours yet? I ordered one two days ago online and received an email today saying that my order 'had changed' and to click on a link to see the details of the change. I couldn't see any link so forwarded the email to another email address of mine where the link did show up. When I clicked on the link it brought me into a web page which told me my order was 'on hold' due to problems processing the payment and that I had to email their customer service with my order number and they would explain what the problem was. I buy regularly on the net using the same credit card details I supplied to this provider and I am certain I entered all my details correctly (to the best of my knowledge and from previous experience, if you do happen to enter incorrect card digits, dates etc, you will get an error message at the point of attempting to make the transaction rather than several days later). I will wait and see what their customer service says but just wondering if anyone had experienced similar difficulties and if the offer is in fact too good to be true.

No, I got an email on Saturday 29th confirming it had been dispatched, but I wouldn't really expect a parcel from the UK to make it here before the end of this week.

I had a similar problem with payment, initially, but entirely of my own making — I tried entering my Laser card details to avoid the 1% credit card surcharge, and of course their system couldn't handle an Irish debit card. But they e-mailed me immediately (and rang my work no., I discovered today!) to sort it out.

I'll post back when it arrives.

i got the same initial email but when i clicked on the link in the email today it told me everything has been sent so try it in a few days and see what happens

Thanks guys. Just checked and it has been dispatched.:)

Total cost €101. Can't wait for its arrival!

Ordered mine too today.. how do you charge the unit?

it comes with a charger

And a nice little custom carry-case with a belt clip, as I discovered when it arrived this afternoon (so I needn't have bundled with it, but hey, the kid will use it for her new camera...) :)

It's charging now, so I haven't had a chance to test it yet. One minor gripe — the unit is silver and the carry-case black, but the earphones included are white... people might think I bought an iPod! :eek:

I currently use an iPod Nano with a Mac but want something a bit bigger.

Would I be able ot use both this and the Nano with iTunes or would it all go bellyup on me?

DrM - when you get a chance can you post some feedback on
  • the user interface
  • how you download/sync (does it just appear as a USB hard drive and you drag and drop or do you use some other application to manage/sync)?
  • the folder sorting issue (some of the few reviews that I can find suggest using something like [broken link removed] to address this)
  • the USB "host" feature which I presume means that you can sync other devices (e.g. digital camera) with the player which could be handy.

I had a similar problem with payment, initially, but entirely of my own making — I tried entering my Laser card details to avoid the 1% credit card surcharge, and of course their system couldn't handle an Irish debit card. But they e-mailed me immediately (and rang my work no., I discovered today!) to sort it out.
Is that how you got it for €93.20 instead of the €102 that I and others see?

No, just before Christmas they dropped the price by £15 to £44.97 + p&p (= €93.20), then after about 48 hours it had gone back up to £59.97 (€115.51 delivered), and then they knocked £10 off it again. Nice to see that Acer's own RRP is £127.65! (scroll to second-last page)

Who says you can't time the markets? :D

I'll post a 'user review' later; in the meantime, specs are available here and I can email the .pdf manual to anyone who wants it.

[P.S. Erratum: laptopdirect's credit card surcharge is 0.9%, not 1%.]

Any idea where the "Radio" function is on it ?

Just ordered one meself. Don't really need it, but too much of a bargain to pass up on... :eek:
Ostensibly you can buy the same device from for GBP£55.79 including P&P or c. €83. The that they deliver to Ireland (Republic) and the order form allows you to select Republic of Ireland (although I had to enter D07 0DD to satisfy the postal code verification check). Maybe if somebody is interested in buying one they could try this site and at best they'll get a better deal and (hopefully!) at worst their order will be rejected.

Any idea where the "Radio" function is on it ?
I've searched for information about this device and some descriptions mention the radio and others don't.

Yeah, sadly the manual doesn't mention the radio, neither does the pdf manual ftp://ftp.support.acer-euro.com/storage/mp-330/manual/Acer%20MP330-English%20Manual.pdf from the acer website, though the website itself does (expand the configurations triangle) http://www.acer.co.uk/acereuro/page...en&ctx3=146&ctx4=United+Kingdom&crc=988845648

I think it's a feature they thought of putting in (i.e. marketing got it) but didn't (engineering didn't implement).

I note the Acer MP-320 (older model?) does have FM Radio, and their Stick-MP3 players have radio on their headphones.

It has no radio. :(

Admittedly, it wasn't a priority for me — I've always found FM reception a bit touch-and-go on these portable players anyway (had a 5GB iRiver until my kid confiscated it).

By way of compensation, it has line-in recording and a USB host function, so you can record direct from a CD player and copy/delete/fdisk files from/to an attached flash drive without a PC.

Also, the max volume setting is the loudest I've ever heard — and no rumbling/distortion! [broken link removed]

ahh shi*te, mine is on the way. the radio was a big factor for me:(

Back