Accountancy service

G

geegee

I am self-employed and running a small business. Can anyone recommend an on-line / discounted accountancy service, if such a service exists.

Thanks in anticipation.

gg

Hi geegee

I can't recommend one, but I have just noticed one here on this new website for people buying and selling businesses.

Brendan

Hi,
I came accross these guys a while ago:

I'm not using them as i believe that they are expensive for a small business but it definetly is a good idea - However i would recommend that you know how and in what format you can extract your information / account should you exit their service.

Rgds
Ciaran

from the form on their site, their minimum charge for a sole trader with less than 150k revenue is 1440 a year plus vat. for many sole traders with a simple business (e.g. an IT contractor), that is very expensive in my opinion.

you would get a much better deal from a regular accountant and probably get a more personalised service for the price too.

from my experience, if you want to minimise your accountancy fees, then you'll need to learn how to do most of the accounting yourself so you can minimise your interaction with your accountant. i've gotten it down to about a total of 1 hour a year face to face and the accountant probably has max 2-3 hours work afterwards filling ROS forms, etc. as far as i can see, that's the only form of "discount accountancy" available.

Many small traders/tradespeople I know are starting to compile and do their own VAT3 two-monthly returns. It is a black&white process, especially for tradespeople, once they have a clear understanding of what it's all about. It reduces their annual accountancy fees. As it is a "paint-by-numbers" process, most accountants designate it to administrative staff.

This product has recently been advertised in wholesalers. See www.thevatman.ie

Accounting Service

I found an account online. I have to say that I have found him to very reasonable for a concise and comprehensive service. He is a one man band and his rates are excellent.

Thomas & Co can be found on www.southsideb2b.org.

Good Luck and remember to shop around. A relationship with your account is an important one and you shuld be happy with whomever you choose.

Dr Albert

Hi,

I use the Virtual Accountant at hookhead.com and I find it to be very good. It's designed for IT Contractors who have limited companies, but I am sure it can probably be used for any small business - Don't think it caters for sole traders though.

I am an IT Contractor and only have a small number of Sales Invoices to keep track of, typically one per month. The Virtual Accountant works well for my needs and since it's online, I can run my business from anywhere. It handles Sales Invoices, Purchases Invoices, Expenses, PAYE/PRSI and VAT by the way.

I believe they will also give you a free trial if you ask for it. Don't say that I told you though ;-)

Bill

Back