Accident: Hurt back at wedding, What might I be entitled to?

Ned_ie

I had an accident at my brothers wedding recently where I slipped (no - not drunk!) on the floor in front of the bar. It was actually vomit where I slipped. I injured my arm and lower back - resulting in doctors visits and now physio.

The hotel have been ok (in a very smug way though) and said they would pay for dry cleaning of my suit. Should I be entitled to more?

Re: Accident

Were they negligent? As in did they know about the vomit but left it there and did not attempt to clean it? Or were they cleaning it but did not have signage up to indicate that there was a possibility that you could slip?

The staff were up and down around that area but not sure if they knew about it. However, after the fall they did not clean up for about another 10 minutes despite people milling around the area! There was no sign around either.

How about chalking it down to experience rather than sticking your injured arm out looking for compo? You're entitled to do that.

Surely the vomiter is negligent for not informing the hotel/cleaning it up? Did you take a sample to aid identification of the culprit? Perhaps the hotel food/drink caused them to vomit, so they can then sue the hotel. You could also sue the event-organiser -- your brother?

Ned_ie said:
I had an accident at my brothers wedding recently where I slipped (no - not drunk!) on the floor in front of the bar. It was actually vomit where I slipped. I injured my arm and lower back - resulting in doctors visits and now physio.

The hotel have been ok (in a very smug way though) and said they would pay for dry cleaning of my suit. Should I be entitled to more?
As you have found out that AAM is against the compo culture and your suggestion that you sue has been met with scarcasm and comtempt.

bond-007 said:
As you have found out that AAM is against the compo culture and your suggestion that you sue has been met with scarcasm and comtempt.

The original poster said they had injured themselves and had to pay for doctors and physio's. Seems fair enough to look for compensation to cover these costs assuming the hotel was negligent. Whats wrong with that?

brodiebabe said:
Were they negligent? As in did they know about the vomit but left it there and did not attempt to clean it? Or were they cleaning it but did not have signage up to indicate that there was a possibility that you could slip?

Personally, I am against claiming for compo and I would never do it, but if the OP wants to he may be able to if he thinks the hotel really were negligent (as I stated in the above reply).

As someone else replied maybe it is best to chalk it down to something like "you should have been more careful and not stepped in the vomit".......

brodiebabe said:
Personally, I am against claiming for compo and I would never do it,...

Wow, surprised at that. If someone crashed into your car you wouldnt look to get the costs of a repair covered by the other party?

Guys, keep this civil.

If the OP was injured as a result of negligence and they have incurred medical bills as a result, they may be entitled to compensation.

Ned.ie, if you feel strongly about this and have been seriously injured you should probably consult a solicitor.

To get back to your original question, you might be entitled to claim for out of pocket expenses such as medical bill, time off work as well as compensation for pain and suffering. That is if you can establish that th hotel was negligent and that their negligence caused or contributed to the injuries you sustained. You can take a claim via a solicitor or by going directly to PIAB. The Law Society conducted a survey recently which indicated that claimants going via a solicitor fared better than those who applied without legal representation to PIAB.

I am not about to sue just because! Persnoally I feel the whole culture of suing has been taken to the ridiculous. I do however feel that at the least I should be entitled to cover of medical expenses. That is the reason for my post - Am I entitled to look for these costs to be covered! Not to look for advice on how best to sue!

Have you asked the hotel directly if they will cover your medical expenses without necessarily admitting liability?

When you injured yourself did you have to call it a night or did you continue partying?

I haven't spoke to the hotel as yet. that might be an idea though. Might they go for it I wonder? They may see it as any form of a payout might be construed as an admission of liability.

I did stay up as at the time it was mainly just my arm that was giving me jip - didn't do too much boogying though!

Ned_ie said:
I haven't spoke to the hotel as yet. that might be an idea though. Might they go for it I wonder? They may see it as any form of a payout might be construed as an admission of liability.
Then who spoke to the hotel on your behalf? :confused:
Ned_ie said:
I did stay up as at the time it was mainly just my arm that was giving me jip - didn't do too much boogying though!
I can't see them paying out or you being able to claim against them for a minor accident that didn't prevent you from participating in the remainder of the festivities. But I'm not a lawyer.

Hi ned , You say you injured your arm and lower back and attended a doctor which means you were most likely in some form of pain. What did the doctor say? What did the phsio say? .Nobody can predict how an injury may result in conditions in later life. Anyway, I sure a solicitor will confirm that you have some redress as the hotel was negligent in not attending to the spillage or whatever it was. The fact that they offered to have your suit cleaned amused me .

Proving the hotel was negligent will not be easy. You will need witness reports to confirm that the vomit was there for an negligble length of time and also you will need to prove you weren't drunk. Your best bet is probably to approach them and ask if they would contribute to your medical bills without taking legal action.

Ask them for the money for your medical bills etc and if they don't pay, sue them. They were more than happy to leave the vomit there for ten minutes after you fell. Often things come back and bite you after the incident....

If you slipped throught no fault of your own on a floor that should have been cleaned up then I think you deserve something that is why they have insurance , I am against people with nothing wrong with them claiming but you do have a fair case, there staff should have spotted it in my opinion and cleaned it up, talk to a solicitor

Back