Accessing the Internet and costs on Meteor

A

Aidan78

Hi Guys,

I've been checking out this site for the past number of months after being recommended here by a friend. Have finally found myself in a bit of bother so was hoping that some knowledge and informed members might be able to give me some much needed advice.

Basically, the story is that after a number of years with O2, I signed up to the Meteor network in August, mainly to avail of their free calls after 8pm. Paid my second monthly bill a few weeks ago via direct debit from my credit card.

I was thrawling through their site yesterday and came across a data add-on - 250MB for €9.99. I phoned up Customer Service and after getting some general information, I signed up to the package.

Now here in lies my predicament. With O2, if I added an add-on to my account, it would have kicked in immediately or the next day at the latest. Assuming that Meteor was the same (my bad I know) I spent a long time on the Internet of my phone last night.

This morning I came into work, logged into Meteor online to discover a whopping €356 of call charges. When I finally regained myself, I phoned Meteor to see what was the story since I had ordered the data add-on only to be told that it doesn't kick in until the next bill date.

Now, I certainly hadn't been advised of this by the Customer Service agent I had dealt with, and explained this to the lady. Apparently, my case has now been sent for review and I should receive a call from some Supervisor type person over the next 48 hours.

Needless to say, I can't afford what they will be charging me if this goes ahead. I honestly thought that the data add-on would kick in immediately, as had been my previous experience with O2. Now I'm regretting having ever switched.

So finally, after a bit of a long-winded post, I'm looking for advice. Has anyone found themselves in a similar situation, or am I the only twat that this has happened to? Do I have any argument / recourse with Meteor since I am positive I was not advised that the add-on wouldn't be available until the next bill date that might get me out of having to fork out this much in my next bill?? €400 is more than I take home in a week!!!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Aidan.

Similar problem myself, was browsing the internet through my phone at home, thought I was on my own wifi connection but was using their wap service so got hit with a bill for 125e, for something like 4mb of download.

Absolutely disgusting carry-on but after checking with comreg they told me as long as they advertise prices etc and terms & conditions they are within their rights to charge what they want.

Basically with your situation, that call was recorded, if you're 100% sure they didn't tell you that the data package didn't kick in until next bill date then they're in the wrong, tell them to listen to the call recording.

If they can txt you warnings and stop your access to calls, txt when you've no credit, they can do the same when you go off your data plan.

That they don't is a rip off.

Basically with your situation, that call was recorded, if you're 100% sure they didn't tell you that the data package didn't kick in until next bill date then they're in the wrong, tell them to listen to the call recording.

Brian76 - What is your justification for this claim? If the OP rang up and said "I want that data bundle you're advertising on your website", then given the link below, the OP can be considered to have been informed of the terms of the contract they were entering into?

Presumably you're referring to Distance Selling Regulations? I think that since the OP subsequently took up the offer (i.e. by starting to download stuff last night), that he's agreed with the basis of the contract, and his cancellation period is now over.

Aidan78 said:
I was thrawling through their site yesterday and came across a data add-on - 250MB for €9.99. I phoned up Customer Service and after getting some general information, I signed up to the package

I presume this is the page that you viewed, Aidan78, during your trawl of their site - "[broken link removed]"?

Fairly obvious from that page that your package doesn't kick in until your next bill - "The Add-On you subscribe to will come into effect on your next bill date.". Their bold text, not mine.

I think in this situation you're probably at the mercy of the goodwill of Meteor here. You'll probably have to hope that you catch them on a good day.

Back