Access to Energy Meter Readings.

Cashmere Solo

Hi Folks,
I have tenants moving into a property soon and obviously I want to take metre readings on transfer. The metres are external in an apartment complex - but the OMC have locked access to these and will only accomodate access to Landlords when it suits them - is this normal practice - as I havn't experianced this before? You would think that the metre is yours and you should have access to it at any time?
Cheers A.

Any use?

Thanks Clubman - the links you gave had interesting comments attached! I'm still curious to know does the Bill Payer/Property Owner have a legal right to access their meter without being controlled by a third party?

Thanks Clubman - the links you gave had interesting comments attached! I'm still curious to know does the Bill Payer/Property Owner have a legal right to access their meter without being controlled by a third party?
Does the management company lease agreement mention this?

I'm still curious to know does the Bill Payer/Property Owner have a legal right to access their meter without being controlled by a third party?
Just to be clear, the bill payer doesn't own the meter, ESB Networks do. They own the wiring to that point, the management company own it from there on, so it's not a simple issue of a person seeking access to their property . As ClubMan says though, meter access would often be dealt with in the lease.

I don't see anything mentioned in the lease........
In a linked post above, Adhamh stated the following:- "This problem happens all the time in apartments. I work for the ESB and I know for a fact it is your legal right to be able to have access to your own meter. If these rooms are fitted correctly there should be no easy way to be electrocuted. Also even we have a tough time getting access to these rooms same goes for fire crews to kill the power to a building. It's all a bit of a joke." This comment was written a while back - i wonder is it still the case?

Last edited:
In our apartment complex, owners and tenants can get the caretaker to take a meter reading on request.

This comment was written a while back - i wonder is it still the case?
I have never heard of any such legislation. Requirements for electrical works are published by the NSAI who don't have authority to mandate access rights to private property.

Back