Accepting Liability but no action

reddeagle

Hi Guys,
Some time ago i had a problem with the work top in my kitchen. The owner of the hardware shop came out to look and agreed with it and offered to have it replaced.
All good.
I got a new worktop and told him to get someone to install it as the carpenter i had didnt want to incase there would be more problems with it etc.

The guys came out to install it, but didnt know how to turn off the water in the house (cold water has a stop hot water doesnt) so i told the guys to make sure they knew what they were doing before turning off the hot water. plumber told me before about water pressure in house etc.

So they left again to find a plumber.

No sign of them coming back so went into the hardware man again and he now wants me to get in a plumber to get the water sorted.

Surely this is not my responsiblity to do this, he has accepted that the work top was faulty and said he would replace it.

whats the next steps for me. (i know this is really minor issue but i dont think he can just leave it at that)

any tips

I don't think you have a case here, isolating the water supply shouldn't be that big a deal and it's not really the kitchen fitter's problem. You are being inconvenienced alright but you can't expect a fitter to be responsible for your house plumbing either, can you? Ask a plumber to disconnect and remake the connection and while he's at it you can ensure that a proper mini service valve is fitted on each supply- this will make it easy for any future plumbing repairs etc (such as replacing a tap washer).
Kitchen fitters generally won't touch any electrical or plumbing services anyway.

I had the same issue - We pushed the kitchen suppliers to cover the cost of the plumber, and they have agreed to do so (though we haven't seen the colour of their money as yet). I was really annoyed that they didn't give us advance warning of the need to get a plumber out - this must be standard procedure for them, but they don't bother to let their customers know in advance.

Thanks Guys,
I didnt expect the carpenter to be work the water supplly. The hardware owner who came to the house said. he would sort all that out himself becuase we told him at the time that the water needed turning off.
I think he realises now thats it hard to get a plumber out to do such a small job.

I will let ye know how it goes, not standing down on this one out of principle if nothing else

Back