About to pay voluntary UK national insurance contributions

If a person was on a Community employment programme/ scheme does that stamp count as employment in order to buy voluntary insurance stamp (2) in UK. I Cant see this question asked anywhere else
Ha! No prize for you!

See Less Frequently Asked Questions under the Key Post.

Post in thread 'UK State Pension - Make voluntary contributions to qualify for UK pension on top of Irish pension' https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threa...n-on-top-of-irish-pension.230581/post-1813832

I'm amused to see the recent Indo article was strongly based on the key post here; and I'm delighted the benefit is getting traction.

However, to save my sanity & stop me from shouting RTFM - or perhaps that should be RTFKP!

I will give a prize to the next person who asks a question that has not already been asked and answered!
Although I have been advising people to top up their U.K. state pension entitlements since 1994 so that might count for something

I'm amused to see the recent Indo article was strongly based on the key post here; and I'm delighted the benefit is getting traction.

However, to save my sanity & stop me from shouting RTFM - or perhaps that should be RTFKP!

I will give a prize to the next person who asks a question that has not already been asked and answered!

What does the F in RTFM or RTFKP stand for? - I becha it's financial or fiscal or maybe even very InFormative!!! Well done Danny for your most helpful replies to date even if some people just can't be bothered to read the threads before posting

Great news!

Just remember you are liable to income tax on the UK pension if resident in Ireland. People have been caught out by this before and got a nasty surprise!
I would expect to pay 40% tax on this, and am Class 3. It might still be a good deal but not a complete no brainer.
If the payments are subject to tax then surely the contributions should be tax deductable?

Hi, Myself and my husband qualify for a partial UK pension, but he has been on illness benefit for about 10 years here in Ireland. Would he have to pay Class 3 then if we were to top up?

Hi, Myself and my husband qualify for a partial UK pension, but he has been on illness benefit for about 10 years here in Ireland. Would he have to pay Class 3 then if we were to top up?
See key post - less frequently asked questions for advice on outliers.

HMRC have extended the deadline again by almost 2 years to 5th April 2025 so plenty of time now

The key post:
should be updated with that info as it still says:
What’s the urgency?
The opportunity to make backdated voluntary contributions will close this year. After the deadline you can only go back 6 years. The orginal deadline was April 2023, it was extended to July 2023. But don’t put this off, life has a habit of pushing things out of our minds, do it now!

I hope this has not already been answered.
I will retire from public drive job at 60 yrs .I have plan in place buying back voluntary NI contributions every year at class 2 . Once I retire on a HSE pension will I still be paying an adequate prsi stamp here to allow me to continue paying class 2 NI contributions

PRSI payments don't factor into it.

You can continue your voluntary NICs until its time to claim your UK pension.

Just out of intrest ,if people have an occupation pension at 60 yrs and are not working,I know it's taxed like income,but is a class A stamp also detected so it can be put towards the contribuitary state pension here

Just out of intrest ,if people have an occupation pension at 60 yrs and are not working,I know it's taxed like income,but is a class A stamp also detected so it can be put towards the contribuitary state pension here
No class m prsi on Occupational pensions

Back