about to buy samsung 32".... should i take the plunge

positivenote

hi all after much consideration i'm on the verge of purchasing a samsung 32" lcd. It is on sale at the moment in DID and Curry's for 999 euro and you get a free stand with it. Does anyone think that its a good deal, i dont really want to go online incase there are problems with the product and i need to bring it back... ideally i wanted a samsung 37 as the 40 was that little bit too big... but they are still out of our price range and you get a free stand with the 32". the tv will be used in our main dinning room .... any advice would be uper....
and if i should hang on for the 37 please let me know.... :)
thanks in advance

did you try pc world for prices? I got a 37'' lcd which is for sale in currys in Newry for £900 in pc world Dundalk for €1200 which is approx €150 cheaper. and yes I know,pc world is currys. they were also approx €200 cheaper than harvey norman - all of 200 metres distant.

A friend got the Samsung 32", I got the Samsung 40" Best TVs ever. Best looking, great picture. Go for it!

i never actually thought of PC world and sure i work in dundalk so i might check it out... thanks for the advice so far

Hang on and wait for the 37" - you will always regret it in time that you did'nt wait a few weeks extra (to get the extra few bob together) to get the one that you really want - your going to be looking at for years!

I've read elsewhere that LCD prices are set to tumble somewhat over the coming months, and 32" models (not necessarily Samsung) are already headed for the €699 mark — another reason to hold off a little while? (I got mine for €399! ;) )

This thread over on Boards.ie may turn up some useful links.

Check out the Power City website....The Samsung you are looking at is €945.95 but you have an option of a couple of 37 inch sets at €1149.95 (LG) and €1199.95 (Philips) You may may able to get them to knock off another €50 - €150 if you ask in the shop ! My suggestion would be to go for the size you want otherwise you will regret it by going for the smaller one. Other than that, I spent a lot of time reading up on all the main brands before I took the plunge. Samsung appeared to be highly recommended at the time whereas I read some worrying reports on some like the Sony Bravia's which I was quite surprised at. Anyway, I opted for the Samsung and I have run into a problem (see my other post), this may be a one off and they may well be very good but at least if you buy from a recognised source you should have a 12 month warranty !

r2d2

hi,
i checked out the lg 37" that was on sale in PC world it looks pretty good... but i think i am going to hold off and fork out the extra 200 for the samsung. Mainly i have been looking a pixel ratio and i think that a pix ratio of 5000:1 is better than 1600:1. .. i may be totally ignorant... so if anyone can tell me if there is not much difference i may well be persuaded to go for the lg instead og the samsung thats a little dearer.
Thanks

hi all after much consideration i'm on the verge of purchasing a samsung 32" lcd. It is on sale at the moment in DID and Curry's for 999 euro and you get a free stand with it. Does anyone think that its a good deal, i dont really want to go online incase there are problems with the product and i need to bring it back... ideally i wanted a samsung 37 as the 40 was that little bit too big... but they are still out of our price range and you get a free stand with the 32". the tv will be used in our main dinning room .... any advice would be uper....
and if i should hang on for the 37 please let me know.... :)
thanks in advance

Check out this site, fairly competitive prices.

[broken link removed]

that looks like great value and only 20 euro shipping costs. the only fear i have of dealing with imports is guarantees...
what do you do if the product doesnt work or arrivs without a part or is damaged... at least with a shop you can go around and shout at a few people to get them to come round and fix it/replace it or other...
although in saying that has anyone ever had dealings with importing a product of this size and price from a company like this? any comments would be great

Just spend 100 euro more and get your 37inch tv from Pixmania, seriously buying online is not that bad a thing....I got my Samsung 32" from Komplett online and have had no problems..

#

I too like the samsung. but the only thing I wasn't sure about was the speakers. they are under the screen but to the rear. thats why I went for the LG - the speakers are at the front. in hardly normals the only 37'' lg they have has side speakers but I wanted front and under the screen and thats the one pc world ( and currys) sell. hardly normal also told me that samsung didn't make 37'' tellys as 'they are built on a sony chasis and sony dont do 37'' models' Half of that statement is true but it didn't inspire much confidence in hardly normal.

thanks for the advice one and all... i think i'll hold off till the next ay packet and get the 37 samsung from pimania.
just one other thing, ive looked at the LG 37 inch in PC world and the contrast ratio is 1200:1 where as the samsung is 3000:1 or 5000:1... is there much difference in the quality and is this the primary factor when buying LCD's ?
thanks again

according to the LG website the 37 telly I have is 1:1600 contrast though to be honest I don't have the foggiest what this actually means. the one thing that threw me for a good while though was the programming. its automatic and I just pushed the putton and waited. screen stated that it found something like 10 digital stations and 21 analogue etc. bingo I thought its found all the freeview channels. unfortunately what I didnt know is that RTE/TV3/and TG4 are broadcasting in digital format from what is known locally as 'the mountain' ie Clermont transmitter and it was these stations only it was picking up. after that I just imputted the other channels manually.the samsung is a lovely looking telly and I noticed that PC world were selling them. Currys are now 'pushing' Sony in a big way.

The contrast ratio is one of the most important features of an LCD Tv, that and the responce time, if you can afford the extra get the highest setting you can in this, we paid the extra for the 32" Samsung with a 3000 responce time, it's the differance between a good and cheap lcd panel, there is plenty of info on the net but jist is get the highest contrast ratio and the lowest responce time, make sure the responce time is black to black and not grey to grey, also make sure the tv has a 8bit colour screen and a not a 6bit one, you may need to look up the site for the tv to get this info as most sales people havn't got a clue. Also teh S-PVA screens are the best, these can be found on the mid to high rang Samsungs and it makes a huge differance. Hopwe it wasn't too Techy.

just wondering if there is a difference between dynamic contrast ratio and contrast ratio?
pardon the ignorance, but ive seen a samsung with a 5000/1 dynamic contrast ratio and an LG with 1600 contrast ratio priced roughly the same.
Thanks

I cant see what the fascination with Plasma / LCD is.

Most folks already have a wide-screen so why not buy a Projector or something to fill a whole wall in your house with TV / Video / Gaming?

You can get projectors for half nothing and they are great for parties ;-)

BM

okay so folkes it looks like im gonna go for this one:

if anyone has any comments i would be very appreciative if you would post them. I am going to go through pixmania so if anyone has delt with them befor buying a product of this cost and size advice and opinions would also be very benificial...
Thanks

I tried to buy my telly of pixmanie uk as pixmania ie didnt have the telly I wanted. Rang them up. If I lived in the uk ( and my credit card was uk based) they would have no problem delivering the telly to the ROI. However as I lived in the ROI then I could only order off the pixmania.ie site. naturally theres buckets more choice on the uk site. That was my only experience with them.

Back