A recomendation for Argos

O

okidoki987

So many people have bad things to say about retailers, lack of customer service, aftercare, overcharging etc but
I have to congratulate Argos for superb service.
I ordered some beds in mid January with free Home delivery.
I wasn't sure exactly when I needed them so I asked the girl about delivery times. She told me that they could hold onto the beds until I needed them. I bought a leather couch 3 weeks later and asked them to add this to the previous order, which they did. I was told just to call them and extend the delivery date every week until I was ready for delivery. I rang them last Monday and said they could deliver the goods today Friday. Girl said delivery would be between 7.30am! and 1pm.
At 7.15am this morning, phone rang to say if we wanted, they could deliver now as they were in the area. Dressed and delivered by 7.50pm!
If I don't like them, I can return them for a full refund.
Brilliant and certainly puts Irish retailers to shame.
Maybe if they all followed the Argos example, we might start to get some "real service" in this country.

Re: A recomendation

Hi okidoki987,

Its great to hear a positive story like this. Im buying a bunk bed in the coming weeks and will certainly take your recommendation on board.

If it is true that we Irish are slow to complain, it is equally true that we are very slow to compliment/praise.

ajapale

Re: A recomendation

Ehh - In the interest of balance but still not bashing Argos, I ordered a bed off them last year and they said it would take three weeks to deliver. They did deliver after three weeks mind but I'm suspicious of the above as they said it was standard practice for them to take this length of time.

well done roches stores

went into roches stores in henry street a while ago. bought some stuff in the household dept and then went upstairs with mrs penang and the kids to buy shoes. put the bag of household stuff down somewhere and lost it.

a very nice assistant helped me look for it and when it didn't turn up helped me to go back to household and replace the stuff free of charge.

thats what i call customer service.

The opposite of recommend!!!

Argos have free delivery in Dublin...I mean in fairness, tis only half the country who don't live there, why would they want to bother about us.

Incidentally, I bought a bed and chest of drawers from Argos. The bed arrived sans fitting so mister and mrs legend slept with mattress on ground as the parts had to come over from England. Also, there was only 5 handles included to fit to the chest of drawers when 8 were required.

Subsequently within 6 weeks one of the slats on the bed broke...and no....it wasn't from the attempted creation of legend junior...it was mister legend sitting down to put on his shoes! And no again, I am not a fatty!

Subsequently to this, part of the decor on the head board fell off, 3 out of the 4 drawers have had the bottom fall out and 2 weeks ago the front panel of the bottom drawer came off in my hand.....

Do you know what in fact, after putting all of this together on one page I am going to write to Argos!!!

Bottom line....anyone ever asks me I'd tell them to turn down offers of free Argos furniture....

Re: The opposite of recommend!!!

Hi legend99 - Did you ring them up and ask for a refund ? Anytime I have gone into Argos with a complaint they have always either re-embursed or refunded.

Re: The opposite of recommend!!!

Arnotts have got to be the best place for furniture, beds and other household goods, absolutely superb service, reliable, so much they called me a week before delivery, then a day before, then 1.5 hours before arriving at house, came in , dropped in new mattress, unpacked and placed on bed, brought old one away. Waas advised initially to wait for sale as they would be a 20% discount!
Stobear

No Elcato....in Cork the Argos is like some kind of shopping nightmare....it takes about an hour to get served, then another hour to get your purchases....and thats just in the early mornings....

On a Saturday the only comparison I could make is that its less tough to play an 80 minute rugby match then it is to shop in Argos Cork....

However, my last post has stirred up my feelings so I think a letter is the way forward.

Re: ..

OK - Sounds like a nightmare. I'd definately complain though via a letter. At least we have quite a few branches up here but mind you it was just as impossible as you stated around Chrimbo.

Elcato
Not wishing to be smart but if you read the full poster, I did say I originally ordered them in Jan, I just kept delaying them until I was ready for the furniture to be delivered.

I read your post. But what's the difference in a girl in Argos ringing up and placing the order and you ringing up and doing so ? I doubt its two weeks.

Elcato, you've lost me.
Whats 2 weeks about?

My original point was
(A) They held on to the delivery until I was ready to receive it at no extra charge.
(B) They delivered when they said they would (although a little early in the morning!).
(C) I Ordered something else and they added it to the original order correctly.
(D) A no hassle changing/refund policy.

Try that with an "Irish" company here and tell me you could say YES to all 4 above.

I stated that Argos have a three week delivery policy. You stated that you got your order in circa one week. The diffrence is two weeks which is what I was referring to. I'm not knocking Argos here and agree with most of your points. I just find the delivery time seems to be too good to be true.

Understood but I started the order in Mid Jan and I just kept putting delivery off so that they would have been ready to deliver from early Feb.
As it didn't suit me until this week, I just kept putting it back
until I was ready. In reality, they have kept it for me for nearly 2 months at zero cost to me.

I too have ordered many home delivery items from Argos and have always found them excellent, punctual and reliable for deliveries.

Argos turnover more than a billion ( GBP ) a year

Considering the number of sales they make to do that then no matter how good they are there are always going to be some real screw ups and also some that go like clockwork

I suggest

1. Hope for the best

2. expect the worst

3. take what comes*

* but keep all receipts, notes of all conversations and examine everything carefully when it is delivered. :)

I suspect that they are not bad really - considering their size

eDog

Re: Argos turnover more than a billion ( GBP ) a year

Slightly off topic.
Did you know that....Argos started live as Green Shield Stamps back in the early 1970's and for a while was a subsidiary of BAT British American Tobacco.
[broken link removed]
ajapale

And now owned

by GUS ( Great Universal Stores )

[ They also own Experian - credit rating & mailing list company :( ]

argos

I have ordered lots from Argos including furniture and on the whole, was very pleased. The only two items were a bedroom chest of drawers and kitchen chairs. The former had drawers that simply were not fitting properly and twice we returned that item until third time lucky. The chairs fell apart after 3 years or so - expected them to last longer but considering the price, maybe not cos they were very cheap.If you are not happy, phone up and return - they collect them for you so everyone should be happy!

Back