A Possible alternative to swear filters/deleting swear-ey posts.

mathepac

I offer the following as a neater and perhaps less interventionist alternative to editing, substitution rules, post deletions and mod interventions.

I think the little PDF is self explanatory and I'm not sure about licences although "non-commercial use" is explicitly permitted in the document.

How good is it? "That would be an ecumenical matter" is the appropriate response. I've tested it locally and it seems to work well on my arsenal of Anglo-Saxon and other nouns, adverbs, verbs and adjectives, FWIW.

Last edited:
I attached a JPEG converted from a PDF by one of the free online services I posted about previously. Can I mention it here?

bitch becomes female dog
sucker becomes gullible person
whore becomes sex worker

Obvious swear words without an alternative become pixelated blobs. The alternative name for donkey, ass, becomes a pixelated blob, the UK/Irish version of ass, "a-r-s-e", becomes a pixellated blob.

Bitch is not a swear-word outside Judge Judy/Gerry Seinfeld territory, nor is cow or sow or mare. Maybe it's a bit early to adopt it but it might be worth watching. It waves an anti-bullying banner rather than a polite language one.

The font, a mighty 2MBs of it needs to be installed and activated to the forum application(s). I have no idea if there is an application/server performance hit associated with using it.

Last edited:
OK, that is a standard feature within Xenforo already.

The difference is that we have to choose the replacements. Here is a selection of what we have done.

For example: Christ's first name was This post will be deleted if not edited immediately

I don't give a This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language what you think!

It discourages users from using any bad language. And if they do, there are prompted to fix it immediately.

Brendan

eejit and rapscallion remain unchanged, wanker, tosser, tosspot get pixellated whereas pussy gets changed to sensitive. Ho gets pixellated, hoe, a horticultural implement, gets changed to s-e-x-u-a-l-l-y active woman.

Interestingly the original word appears if you copy and paste a changed or pixelated word into a different document.

Hi mathepac

There are three uses of rapscallion in the history of Askaboutmoney and yours is one of them.

We only bother censoring words which are offensive or blasphemous or used a lot by spammers e.g. "w ellness".

Blasphemous is the main problem as most people don't really think about it in ordinary speech.

If you see other words which are used and which need to be censored let me know.

Brendan

We only bother censoring words which are offensive or blasphemous...

Blasphemous is the main problem as most people don't really think about it in ordinary speech
Surprised to see this on the list. I know AAM has been around an impressive number of years, was it introduced in-line with the countries 1937 blasphemy laws ;)? Might be time to do away with it, in-line with it being removed from the country’s constitution last year?

The broader discussion is interesting from a technology perspective, did not know a font could be used for this purpose! Though I cannot see the advantage of using a font over regular word substitution without the complexity of new fonts?

It's nothing to do with blasphemy laws.

Some people find it offensive. There is no need for casual blasphemy.

If you want to write a blasphemous book or write a blasphemous article for the Irish Times, that is a completely different matter.

Brendan

Back