A nice exspensive restaurant?

Re: ..

Awww shucks piggy, you have me snivvelling into my choccy muffin here.

Hope you enjoy it and still have money for the Chrimbo after :)
Rebecca

I brought Mrs Murt to Guilbaud's earlier this year for her birthday. The whole thing is totally OTT. I thoroughly enjoyed every bit of it. (Thank God I left the shiny track suit bottoms at home.)

Coat taken off you inside the door and the chef or Maitre'D or someone shakes hands. You are led to your table and both the chairs are held out for you to sit down.

All the waiters appear to be french and are dressed in formal gear - no waitresses on my visit. Nearly as many waiters as diners or so it appeared to me.

Nice starter. Someone comes round with all different types of rolls. Naturally Murt, behaving like a pig as always, manages to get the crumbs all over the table. A waiter comer over with this kind of minature carpet sweeper and brushes them up - never seen one of them before.

Half was through I need to go to the toilet. I was led out rather than being given directions to the toilet. When I returned a waiter was again there to hold my seat for me. He had also carefully folded the napkin that I had carelessly thrown on the table.

Your man that shook hands at the entrance comes round during the meal to ask if everything is okay.

The main course is rather limited on the set priced menu. The food was georgeous and very well presented.

I finished off with a cheeseboard rather than a desert. The waiter brought over this huge board and allowed me to pick what I wanted. (one of them was sheeps cheese YUK)

Unfortunately for me, herself thought the whole thing was OTT and she found it hard to relax. She has forbidden me from taking her there next year for her birthday. I suppose I could always go on my own birthday.

E45 for a lunch is expensive enough I suppose but for what you are getting it is great value. A drink is also quite expensive but then again you don't have to do the dog unless you want to.

Sounds a bit like my experience in [broken link removed] a few years ago. And it was an experience all right. Thankfully it was a work jolly and I wasn't footing the bill. The service was as over the top as above, veering towards some sort of stereotypical French rudeness (and we even had some French nationals in our company!). Food was excellent and left most people looking for more. Literally - since portions were tiny in a haute cuisine sort of fashion. One of our table spilled half a glass of red wine on the table and the waiters rushed over and changed the whole thing as if they were mechanics changing the wheels of an F1 car. I'd try a joint like this again if somebody else was paying (what about it piggy? ;) ) but generally I tend to stick to less formal places which offer relatively good quality food at a more affordable price. Maybe that's what happens when you're no longer courting? ;)

feck the lunch piggy, just ply her with beer!

That's what I always do legend ;)
This is a bit different though.

I'd try a joint like this again if somebody else was paying (what about it piggy? ;) )

Are you a bit of a hottie Clubman and how much beer exactly do you need to be plied with???

mermaid cafe, dame street. fantastic menu, expensive enough.

Peploes on St Stephens Green is a really nice classy resaurant and it's not too stuffy and OTT. Good value too and the atmosphere is very relaxed. I brought a young lady there before and it was a major success.
It's located in a basement half way between the Shelbourne and the top of Grafton Street.
It has had very good reviews in all the papers and mags.

"Peploes on St Stephens Green is a really nice classy resaurant and it's not too stuffy and OTT. Good value too and the atmosphere is very relaxed."

Re: a thank you to mammy!

To be honest it's more of a thank you and treat (that this girl deserves) rather than anything else. After that she gets to see the sheets..

Piggy, I'm sure you enjoyed your lunch with your mum!. She definitely deserves it if she had to "see [in order to wash] the sheets" after the meal! :D

Aren't Irish mammies great really!

Best of luck in your home!

Marion :hat

Where did you go and how was it piggy?

Went to odessa in the end. Very nice. Went well. Ta.

Piggy, I'm sure you enjoyed your lunch with your mum!. She definitely deserves it if she had to "see [in order to wash] the sheets" after the meal!

I think if I called this girl "Mammy" it'd be the end of things fairly sharpish like!! ;)

Best of luck in your home!

Thanks Marion. Happy Christmas :)

Murt

"You are led to your table and both the chairs are held out for you to sit down. "

Murt,
If I went out for a meal and they held out both the chairs for me I'd take it as a gross insult!

Back