'99 Peugeot 206 not starting

niallo34

My wife has a '99 Peugeot 206 with very low mileage.

She drives it very infrequently - once a week or so - and even then only a short distance.

I put a new battery in about a month ago and it's been driven infrequently since.

I had to take it as my own car is in getting repaired and it drove fine to work for me and half way home (3 miles) I parked it for a short while and when I went to start it, nothing happened - no lights on dash, nothing.

I jumped it and it started fine.

I checked the connectors on the battery and they were secure.

I tried to start it again and same thing - nothing.

Worked fine on a jump again.

Is this is alternator or is it that the new battery has not been charged sufficiently due to the lack of driving?

Thanks..

Hi Niallo, my wife has a 206 also and the same thing was happening to hers, she too drove it very little. Eventually, after replacing battery and bringing it to Peugeot the problem was that there was a pen stuck beside the hinge on the glove box. The glove baox closed without a problem but the interior light stayed on constantly and was running down the battery, have heard of something similar happening on the boot also, so you might wanna check these silly things before bringing it into a garage.

Also I have heard of a fault with the back window heater (with Peugeot), which drains the battery over time.

Hi Niallo,

I had this problem with my 206 a couple of years ago, had a mechanic look at it and apparently it's a problem with alot of older 206 (mine was 99 aswell) I think it was something to do with the electric although I can't be certain. I eventully trading mine in for my new car and I think the guy in the garage scrapped it.

If you look it up online - like type the problem into google you'll find alot of people on the car forums reportig this problem with the 206, so maybe you can get a clearer idea ffrom there.
Hope it's not too serious.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help guys.

Best thing is to bring it for a service I think.

I guess I was hoping (in vain!) for a miracle cure.

Could well be alternator - any garage will do a basic test and let you know.

Good luck

MFK

Back