99 Mondeo?

redracer

Hi all, I have to get a second hand car which is reliable and relatively cheap to maintain and run. I'm looking at a 1999 Mondeo 1.6l. What kind of performance does it have? What's it like for reliability, what should I look out for etc? Has anyone any opinions on this or another 1.6 car?

90 bhp. Ok performance and should be economical on longer journeys. Good ride and handling.

Should be cheap now as it's the former model.

Last of the 1.6 Mondeos. Base car now is a 1.8.

Have this exact car. Have had now for 2 1/2 years, and only expenses in that time were having the standard services and parts replacements done.

And since it's a Ford, these are easy to find, and you can get them relatively cheap if you shop around.

Engine is more lively than you'd expect, and fuel economy is satisfactory - within in normal bounds of city/country driving.

Would definitely recommend. I'll be upgrading soon, but only to the newer 1.8 model and shape mentioned above.

Thanks for those replies. Most of my driving is motorways and back country roads so good news about fuel economy. Just one other question - most of the models I have seen for sale have alloys on them, (all different types though). Were alloys standard with the 99 model?
Thanks again

redracer said:
Just one other question - most of the models I have seen for sale have alloys on them, (all different types though). Were alloys standard with the 99 model?Thanks again

Don't think it was standard, but I've a feeling that they were using up all the old spare parts from stores when putting out the last batches of the old model Mondeo. Therefore, it shouldn't be too hard to find one with alloys.

Same with AirCon and CD player as well.

Thanks for the info, you've helped confirm my decision. Good luck with your upgrade John.

Back