'97 Micra Timing Belt(Chain)

S

spectre83

Hi all, I've only just found this site, very impressed so far, I'd be very grateful if I could get a few responses to this query.

I've recently bought a 2nd hand Micra that had only recently been serviced and passed the NCT. The mechanic who serviced and put it through for me has said that the timing belt needs replacing but it would cost an arm and a leg to replace so not to bother. He reckons the car would be alright for a year or so.

My knowlege of cars and their workings is minute to say the least. So I have a few questions:

1) Is it a timing belt or timing chain I have? Is there a major difference between the two?

2) Can it be mended or does it need to be replaced?

3) How much would it cost roughly?

4) How essential is it to get the job done?

Thanks in advance

AFAIK, the timing belt and chain are the same. It has to be replaced, can't be fixed. Its a fairly big job because the engine has to be opened up. If it breaks the engine is completely destroyed as the belt keeps all the parts moving as one.
If it needs changing it is essential. Don't know cost.

I believe the 97 micra has a timing chain which should last the lifetime of the car.just get the mechanic to check the tensioners as this can lead to a noisy engine

as vandriver said it hase a chain and the tensioners do wear and make the engine sound noisy....however it is better to replace the chain also as they do stretch,im not sure what the chain and tensionser kit cost as it is a few years since i did mine, labour is about four hours i think...hope that helps.

Back