500gb external storage drive

Iomega units will surely contain a drive made by one of the usual hard disk manufacturers - Seagate, Samsung, WD, Hitachi, Toshiba, Fujitsu etc. (not even sure that etc. is necessary!). I don't think that they manufacture hard drives drives themselves so to say that they will be less reliable is surely misleading.

I'll qualify what I said. My experience of Iomega products over the years has been mixed at best. So I bought these HD drives with both eyes open. I have had 3 of these 500GB drives. One failed and was returned. They all run very hot especially on big file copies. In less intense use they run warm. When I looked up the drive numbers it didn't come back with a standard oem drive number but some model which I assume must be made specifically for Iomega by one of the big manufactures. As any info I could find on the drive number all made reference to Iomega. Reviews on the web were mixed with some reports of failures. Hence my assumption re: reliablility. They also have the PSU power block built into the plug, which I really like as theres far less cable cluttler. Much neater. But the drives were cheap with a warranty and once you have a couple of drives cloned, and a good backup, then a drive failing isn't that big a deal.

With modern drives running hot, I would prefer a actively cooled enclosure (with a fan in it) and perhaps more space around the drive. A 5.25 enclosure instead of a 3.5 one. But I couldn't find a decent one at a reasonable price when I went looking. I think a lot of modern drives really suffer if used heavily and there isn't suffcient cooling.

Back