5 children inherit a house - one wants to buy but can't get mortgage

I know it's not your direct question. But, how did the family look after the carer? From the details here it seems the carer got a raw deal. I think you said they lived in the house paid all bills and cared.

Fair deal would have eaten a significant amount.

Paid home help costs money.

The siblings didn't treat her well tbh and that caused a bit of friction within the family.
There was zero help with the up keep of the family home amoung the siblings.the kinda took the mickey over the last couple of years.

The mother got I think 2hrs of home help 5 days a week but no help from siblings.

I know it's not your direct question. But, how did the family look after the carer? From the details here it seems the carer got a raw deal. I think you said they lived in the house paid all bills and cared.

Fair deal would have eaten a significant amount.

Paid home help costs money.

and took a break of 4 years in their career and now has to secure a new job straight after Covid. As mentioned in a previous post she also paid for the groceries. She did receive carer's allowance but that would still pale into insignificance when compared as you say to either Fair Deal or if they had to pay for further home help hours.

Carer got free accommodation but also paid for all utilities and groceries bills. I would call that about even. (They get free accommodation but didn't have full freedom in the accommodation, and paid bills).

on the caring front. I don't know actual costs or hours the sibling was available. But imo it is probably worth min 12k per month. And likely more like 20. So rather than low balling offers id prefer to see min 50-80 coming off the total inheritance of the other siblings.

I see that as the minimum.
if the parent was difficult, even more
if nobody else wanted to do it even more
if they had good earning potential even more.

The person presumably did benefit from a closer relationship with their parent, and hopefully good memories and bonding and insight into life. But given the alternative costs and it being strangers I feel like 50-80 is the minimum deserved.

Is careers allowance about 250p.w.?

I accept it might be very hard and full of friction to come agreement on that though.

Last edited:
I accept it might be very hard and full of friction to come agreement on that though.

The extremely annoying part of this arrangement though is that the siblings despite having, as we can all see quite clearly, taken advantage of this person, they would appear not be giving any reduction in the current market value whilst at the same time laying down the law.

Most of the siblings would like too keep the family home within the family (this part can become tricky once money/feelings are involved).

There is a simpler way.

Let's say they agree €50,000 each - the sibling they get on with could get this across the line.

Person has circa 160k, but needs a buffer.

So €35k immediate payment and €180/month to each of the 4 from Jan 1st 2022 for 7 years. (1% interest)

Avoids banks and credit union, keeps house in family and in a way gives a bit of thanks to the person who cared for the mother and mend some of the broken bridges

Back