41% of people wearing face masks.

I was on the Luas on both Friday from Red Cow to Abbey st and on Saturday on the return journey and I would say that about 80 per cent of people were wearing masks. We stayed in the Riu Gresham and it was compulsory to wear masks while moving through the hotel and everyone was.

I did not see anyone not wearing masks to be honest. We did not know that we had to either but just happened to have them as we were travelling on the Luas. There was a notice on the front door saying that people had to wear them.

It’s being reported in the media that 41% of people wearing face masks in public.
And the authorities want that figure higher!

I was in a supermarket yesterday. I’d estimate that 10% (maximum) of shoppers wore them. No staff wore them.

I was in a rural Irish town last week. Was there for a short time, maybe 30 minutes.
I saw one person wear a mask, an employee in a SVP shop.

Where did this figure come from? Is it a Dublin centric survey?

“The world is in a state of chassis”.
The world is in a state of chassis?

In recent weeks, I've noticed a marked increase in mask wearing when shopping (rural area). I tend to shop late around 8pm when it's quieter. I haven't been wearing a mask but will do so now that it's mandatory. I did feel guilty when I saw others wearing them because of the "I protect you, you protect me" notion. A lot of the time I just forgot but will have to make it my business to remember. Honestly I think it's a step in the right direction. I don't like them any more than most people but will do my bit. A recent study showed that 2 hairdressers who were COVID positive did not pass the virus to any one of the 139 customers they came in contact with. With a virus that seems to be so easily transmitted, this looks very positive to me.

Same as that, I've also noticed a big increase in mask wearing during my weekly big shop. I have been wearing it for the past 4 weeks now and initially it was a very low percentage but this week I would estimate maybe 3 in every 4 were wearing one. I do feel for those that have to wear these things for hours on end - one hour is more than enough for me to be very glad to take it off again once I get outside the shop.

Just wondering how will this work in restaurants. Customers obviously wont be wearing them so I presume its kind of pointless for staff to be forced to wear a mask if everyone else is not. Perhaps new legislation doesn't apply to restaurants-only normal retail. Anyone know?

Just wondering how will this work in restaurants. Customers obviously wont be wearing them so I presume its kind of pointless for staff to be forced to wear a mask if everyone else is not. Perhaps new legislation doesn't apply to restaurants-only normal retail. Anyone know?

I haven't heard anything about it being applied to restaurants. Although it would seem to me good practice that customers should wear them unless seated at their table and staff should wear them while interacting with customers \ on the floor.

I visited a hairdresser in Stillorgan and the barber was wearing a mask, however the mask was only covering her mouth and not her nose. How can someone working in such close proximity to their client do this? I just left and went elsewhere. Are there rules and regulations about this type of irresponsible behaviour?

I was on the Luas last week and a very high percentage of people were wearing masks. Also was in a lot of shops in Dublin and once again it was good to see so many people wearing masks . There are a lot of people carrying masks to put on as they enter shops and supermarkets , as they should , of course.

Was in Dublin today - some wearing of masks around the streets but seemed like most people had masks to go into the shops (I wasn't spending time in shops so just random observation)

Noticeable over the last week that in local shops in my area virtually everyone has been wearing masks - actually noticeable when you see someone without one (and they looked a bit sheepish)

Thats right . Its the people who are not wearing masks are more noticeable at present.

it is good to see that most people believe in them all the same. The sooner that everyone is wearing them the better . Then perhaps we can change the name on this thread to 91% of people wearing face masks.

Last edited:
Unfortunately you will see come Monday, that some people will think that you won't have to wear them in the local corner shop.

"I was only doing the Lotto and getting some milk".

90 % of people will wear them but trying to get the other 10 % to comply might be a problem, for everyone.

Unfortunately you will see come Monday, that some people will think that you won't have to wear them in the local corner shop.

"I was only doing the Lotto and getting some milk".
Do you honestly think that the mask police will be out in force to arrest someone in a local corner shop?

That would be better than having the shop staff do it . They have enough to do.

Do you honestly think that the mask police will be out in force to arrest someone in a local corner shop?
The staff should ask them to leave and refuse to serve them. If they refuse to leave then the police should be called. In that case the idiot not wearing the mask is wasting police time and costing the State money so a €2500 fine seems appropriate.

Back