3V vouchers

jfk

Has anybody used these and are there any disadvantages when compared to a credit card?

i don't use them but i know that the charges are high. you pay a fee when getting the voucher and another fee to get any unused money returned to you. i was given the info a while back through top-up club.

Alex.

jfk said:
Has anybody used these and are there any disadvantages when compared to a credit card?
Advantages:
1. handy
2. Can't spend more than you have.
3. Avoids high CC surcharges at Ryanair.com
4. Can track spending online.
5. No stamp duty.

Disadvantages
1. €350 limit. No use if buying a laptop from Dell.com
2. €5 charge per voucher, not too bad if buying high value vouchers.
3. €1.50 charge to redeem unspent credit.
4. Only valid for a max of 60 days, which is fine for most users.
5. No way to transfer funds from a used voucher to another so that you don't end up with unspendable small amounts that are simply lost to the bank. This is my major problem with them.

I found the 3V idea a great buzz when it first came out and even got one but the charge of €5 per voucher per top up is a bit excessive and specially as it seems €3.50 actually goes to the bank and the retailer receives €1.50.

Can anyone confirm this who is a retailer

There's a list of them on www.3v.ie

I only found out the expiry date was a month (or so) when I purchase one for my son as a present 2 week before Christmas!

Brian

I think this is to prevent you from buying a large value card and spending it slowly over a long period of time.

The service charge is reasonable considering you don't pay a stamp duty charge. So if you got 8 or less a year your saving money.

bond-007 said:
Advantages:
3. Avoids high CC surcharges at Ryanair.com

I thought 3V works like Visa so how do you avoids CC surcharge?
What payment option would you choose from drop down liast?

Back