Health Insurance 34 and don't have health insurance .. should i buy the cheapest policy to avoid the 2% loading

DarLev

Hi,

I am 34 and currently living abroad.

I plan on moving back to Ireland full time in the next year or two.

Just wondering should I purchase the cheapest health insurance policy now (i think around 500 euro?) so that i don't have to pay the 2% surcharge in future years?

Am i right in assuming the 2% surcharge will apply to each year going forward and not just a one year charge.

Thank

An average decent policy today costs about €1300 so of you have a loading of 2% each year for 10 years, it equates to less than paying out €500!

Worth noting though, if you were out of the country in May 2015, on return to Ireland, you can take out insurance within 9 months and avoid the loading

There are cheaper ones than that. Laya Precision 600 Connect covers a semi-private room in a private hospital and Day cases covered in private hospitals with some excess for around €770 per annum. If you don't care about getting money back on outpatient appointments and are very healthy so far, then go for a policy with a high excess.

Back