30% of heat and broadband as tax credit for those working from home

Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume there is an upper limit to what you can claim?
Sortof but they wont tell you that figure. You submit the amount and it fails auto approval and then they manually review, based on my xp with other credits.

It would be far simpler to just allow everyone to claim the eWorkers allowance equivalent as a tax credit, if their employer doesn’t pay it.
Correct - but then they'd have to honour the full cost if it!

This way, they probably get away with paying less than half of it, while claiming they did something for us.

I was of the same option. But yesterday it appears to revenue online have a updated receipt tracker and now easier to claim.

You upload WFH bills to them directly. Input date,cost, broadband or light/heat upload picture or PDF and save.

I followed the guide on their website https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pensions/eworking/how-to-claim.aspx . Were you then do a online return. This already prepoulated with incomes and credits. But just needed to attach the WFH credit. Which added up everything for you inputted working days for 2020. Job done took around 30mins.

Not sure of final figure will revert back here when it updated. But even if 34 euro or more this helps towards lowering the TWSS tax I got in Feb .

Doesn't sound like it's quite that quick, tbh.

How do you record, and be able to evidence, that you worked from home on certain dates, for example ?

I don't know about you, but I've been WFH for most of the last 18mths. However, if you ask me to prove it, I'm not sure that I can prove that I was here every day, didn't keep a formal diary for example, and while I'm logged onto my employers systems, you'd be a very long time waiting for them to verify your claim that you worked from home on a particular date.

I don't know about you, but I've been WFH for most of the last 18mths. However, if you ask me to prove it, I'm not sure that I can prove that I was here every day, didn't keep a formal diary for example, and while I'm logged onto my employers systems, you'd be a very long time waiting for them to verify your claim that you worked from home on a particular date.
Are Revenue really going to look for proof of WFH days for a measly 60 - 80 quid on average?

Are Revenue really going to look for proof of WFH days for a measly 60 - 80 quid on average?
Probably not but if it a pain to fill out , which it is, and people don't do it the Revenue get more than they should. If 500,000 people didn't claim say €50 that's what €25m .The majority of these taxpayers are whacked in the pocket all the time, and I personally think it should be easier.
During the lockdowns income tax revenue didn't fall off the cliff, indicating that people who were working from home are really the main taxpayers it would be better to simply give €200 tax credit across the board, after all hundreds of thousands got pup filling in a simple form online.

Revenue may well check up - by a simple random "dip test" type approach, for example.

Remember, their staff get paid the same hourly rate, regardless of what they are doing, from hour to hour.

It would be far simpler to just allow everyone to claim the eWorkers allowance equivalent as a tax credit, if their employer doesn’t pay it.
Great point - the current set up also means that those who are financially and technically literate are more likely to make a claim and have a successful outcome, which is far from ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back