30% free space on C drive but still slow

Pickle

When I try to open say internet explorer or a word document the pc really is slow doing this.over all bb when opened runs really fast.But opening docs is a pain. I checked my C drive which states I have around 30% free space, I checked the Run the put in msconfig to make sure nothing is starting up in the back ground. Now I do have loads of pictures in My Pictures ,but still I have 30% free space when I check the C drive. any ideas what I can do

When I try to open say internet explorer or a word document the pc really is slow doing this.over all bb when opened runs really fast.But opening docs is a pain. I checked my C drive which states I have around 30% free space, I checked the Run the put in msconfig to make sure nothing is starting up in the back ground. Now I do have loads of pictures in My Pictures ,but still I have 30% free space when I check the C drive. any ideas what I can do

Run the Task Manager - right click on the bottom task bar, select "Start Task Manager".

Click on the CPU column, to sort processes in order of the CPU time they take up.

Now, ignoring "System Idle Process", is there anything else taking up a lot of CPU time? (If you're doing absolutely nothing, your "System Idle Process" should have at least 85 in the column).

If "System Idle Process" is indeed at least 85, then it could be your hard disk is highly defragmented. Try the following free defragementer:

http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag

It's also worth clearing your system of spyware, if any; try SpyBot:

http://www.safer-networking.org/

Have you got a virus scanner churning away in the background?

check for spyware and viruses with reputable software such as malwarebytes or spybot for spyware and avg for viruses

Hi

Apologies for the hijack but having a similar problem. I have tried to run an AVG scan and I had to pause it afer something like 12 hours!! Opening docs and programs sluggish as is closing them - often get the 'ending program' dialog box. Actual browsing (via mobile BB) is fine.
Can't remember disc space off hand but should have plenty really.

I'll try a spyware scan later - if I can, it may be painfully slow too.

Now, ignoring "System Idle Process", is there anything else taking up a lot of CPU time? (If you're doing absolutely nothing, your "System Idle Process" should have at least 85 in the column).

If "System Idle Process" is indeed at least 85, then it could be your hard disk is highly defragmented

Sorry, don't fully understand this - you seem to be saying it should have 85 but then go on to say if it is 85 that there may be a problem. Seems like a contradiction. Maybe I've misunderstood.

I've had a similar experience with AVG 9.0. I have a three machine licence and one of the PCs (a Dell P4 single core) was unusable to the point where I've uninstalled AVG and installed Avast, which solved all of the problems.
It appears to be the ID protection built into AVG 9.0 that's caused all the slowing down.
Interestingly when I uninstalled AVG a feedback form appeared which asked me to explain why and the first option was " PC running slowly" so they're well aware of it.
My other PCs are both dual core and I've had no issues.

Ah. Installed 9.0 myself recently - maybe it takes a while for this to surface as it was fine for a month or so.

Hoagy, any issues with installing Avast before uninstalling AVG?

If you're worried about being "hit" during the anti-virus free time,download and save avast installer to the desktop.Go offline by turning off the router.Remove avg and ignore the stupid cry baby survey asking why you uninstalled avg.If it was any good you wouldn't be removing it in the first place!! Then run the avast installer.Go back on line do all the updates..job done.

Er, well, for neatness sake sure, but it won't affect system slowdown.

If there's a lot of shortcuts then it's ok, but saving actual documents there will slow it down as this is a special folder (probably c:\users\your name here\desktop) that's constantly referred to by the system.

If there's a lot of shortcuts then it's ok, but saving actual documents there will slow it down as this is a special folder (probably c:\users\your name here\desktop) that's constantly referred to by the system.

Hmm, never heard of that. A quick google has lots of people mentioning it, but no reason why. The only explanation I've seen is someone saying that "on the Mac, items on your desktop are treated as directories", but that (a) still doesn't explain slowdown and (b) is only applicable to Macintosh rather than Windows. Occasionally I've had a couple of gigabytes of files on my desktop - if Windows did indeed loads all those files into memory, my system would completely fall over but I've never noticed.

But then again, it'll do no harm so worth a try!

EDIT: I just checked my machine and I have - no exaggeration - 100,000 files totaling 20 GBs on my desktop! So if this is true, it's a wonder my PC hasn't blown up. :)

Back