3 or 4 bedroomed?

monstie

Hi, we are in the process of looking for a new house and finding it very difficult to get something we like untill yesterday we found it!! But there is one thing i cant figure out, this three bed semi has an attic conversion which has been turned into a bedroom and very nice it is too but on the E.A. brouchure and web site it dosnt mention this as a bedroom which clearly is, it calls it attic storage. The price of the house is about the same as other 3beds in the area and about 70k less than the 4 beds. My question is why arent they advertising this as a 4 bed or even attic conversion but only as storage space, could there be planning issues with it or something?

I'd say you've answered your own question. Clearly, it doesn't have planning permission though with the price difference you mention, it would be well worth the owners applying for "retention", unless they have tried this and been refused. It would be worth checking this with the Local Authority.

All living spaces must have a floor to ceiling height of 8'. (With certain exceptions for sides of attics, and downstanding beams etc.)
Certain "non-habitable" spaces (i.e. ones you don't stay in for extended periods of time) may have ceilings at 7' - kitchens, toilets, bathrooms, halls.

Most attics are not designed to be converted into living spaces (despite the fact that it would have been easy to do when the house was first constructed), and so it cannot be marketed as a bedroom.

Nevertheless, a lot of estate agents call such convertions them bedrooms anyway.

There is also the problem that 3 storey buildings must comply with certain more stringent fire regulations - which would be the case if an attic to a 2 storey building were considered habitable.

Our new house ( a new build) is marketed as a 4 bed even though the attic is fully converted and the show house has the attic as a bedroom often wondered why. but seems to be common enough. We've seen the plans & planning permission and the regulations are as per 3 storey houses but still only considered 4 bed....

Back