3 Broadband - bad deal UK=€62.81 Ireland=€129

Z

z103

I'm interested in buying a 3, pay as you go mobile broadband dongle. 3 won't allow me to buy it from the UK because I'm based in Ireland.

UK Price €62.81
[broken link removed]

Irish Price €129
[broken link removed]

This is exactly the same product, but for more than double the price!

What about the monthly charge?

Sometimes hardware is subsidised and the discount is clawed back through the monthly charge. Also, 3-Ireland customers can use their service in the UK for no extra charge.

But, yes, it's a hassle that 3 force you to use hardware supplied by them.

If you only need the modem and not a connection - try ebay etc.

If you want the model and account (i.e. SIM etc) they're never going to let you buy through UK surely? Plus you'd always be paying roaming rates when in Ireland?

I have both a 3 broadband and a 3 monthly contract mobile, both registered in NI (UK).

I am able to use BOTH in RoI on 3 Ireland without any extra charges. For 3, it doesn't matter if you are North or South.

I'm interested in buying a 3, pay as you go mobile broadband dongle. 3 won't allow me to buy it from the UK because I'm based in Ireland.

UK Price €62.81
[broken link removed]

Irish Price €129
[broken link removed]

This is exactly the same product, but for more than double the price!

There has been a promotion on the modem in the 3 Stores in Dublin for the last couple of weeks - €49. I understand it's to continue until the end of the month. Might be worth checking out.

This is for Pay Monthly and not PAYG as per OP's original point

Last edited:
What about the monthly charge?

Sometimes hardware is subsidised and the discount is clawed back through the monthly charge.
It's pretty difficult to compare like with like for the monthly charge. The UK one allows 30 days, whereas the Irish one is limited to 1day/1week or 1month.

Ireland
Broadband Day 500MB €5
Broadband Week 2GB €10
Broadband Month 10GB €25

UK
Broadband Lite 1GB £10 (30 days)
Broadband Plus 3GB £15 (30 days)
Broadband Max 7GB £25 (30 days)

(I also tried buying on EBay, but none will ship outside the UK)

If you want the model and account (i.e. SIM etc) they're never going to let you buy through UK surely? Plus you'd always be paying roaming rates when in Ireland?
No extra roaming charges if you buy in the UK and use in Ireland or the other way around (see RMCF's post)

There has been a promotion on the modem in the 3 Stores in Dublin for the last couple of weeks - €49. I understand it's to continue until the end of the month. Might be worth checking out.
Thanks for that. I tried buying in a 3 store, but it's actually even more expensive - they add an extra €20 for buying in a store instead of online €149!

Back