2nd property stamp duty

U

Unregistered

My PPR is Dublin and have lived there for 3 years. I bought a new house down the country with plans to move down there. House is ready now and stamp duty will work out just under 5000 euro. I will be staying in the new house a few times a month until I move down full time which could be a year or two. Do I still have to pay the full stamp duty?

As you are buying the new house with the intension of it being your PPR I think a case could be made but to be sure I'd ask your solicitor to find out. Correspond by letter or e-mail so that you have a record.
Someone else on AAM should be able to give a more definitive answer. I would recommend calling the revenue commissioners office as well but any info given over the phone by them seems to be a bit suspect (having read the contradictory advice given to others on this site).

The other thing to consider is that you can only have one PPR so if you bought your house in Dublin new and didn't pay stamp duty and now plan to rent it out you will have to pay the stamp duty clawback on it as you are moving out within 5 years.

Thanks Purple, looks like no way around it. Would end up paying stamp duty claw back. Cheaper to pay stamp duty on house down the country.

Back