2nd hand car-can't get documentation from dealer

O

ontheup

I bought a car recently off a second hand car dealer on the long mile road.The problem is he hasnt given me the change of ownership form or has he sent it away himself ive rang him loads of times and each time its a different excuse.Does anyone know what i can do as i cant sell it as i dont own it
and i cant tax it either.(could probably live without doing the latter).:d

Title edited by ClubMan.

Re: Car ownership

Have you tried sending him a registered letter, setting a fixed deadline by which time you expect the certificate? Have you tried contact his boss and/or the proprietor of the garage? Is he a member of SIMI - you might try contacting them?

The OASIS explains what needs to be done in this situation. What excuses is the dealer coming up with? Maybe if you hint that you might report him to the relevant authorities (not sure who exactly!?) it might elicit a more expeditious response? By the way I don't think that lack of the required documentation would be an acceptable excuse for not taxing the vehicle so if you're driving it untaxed then you are running the risk of penalties.

so if you're driving it untaxed then you are running the risk of penalties.

I think the real issue is that until the ownership is formally changed, the previous owner will be liable for your parking tickets, and possibly even your 'driving without tax' tickets.

Are you sure? I wouldn't like to stopped by the Gardaí driving an untaxed car whether or not I had the ownership form! :eek

Are you sure? "Failing to have a car tax disc displayed" could be an issue if you were stopped at a checkpoint for instance. I don't think it would be sufficient to say that the car belongs to someone else.

I understand also that cars can be impounded if irregularities or problems arise re registration documentation etc.

Nope - I'm not sure - which is why I said "possibly even "

The old way (I think it may have changed in the last few years) was to fill out an RF1 form which had a dispatchable piece at the bottom signed by both parties saying the tax book was gone into the tax office for change of ownership. This was placed on the windscreen where the tax disc should be. Is this still the case ? If so the garda would normally give you a few weeks to produce. I'd ring the tax office in Chancery street and ask them what should be done. I wold also be tempted to report it to the local garda station just in case.

Call the owner of the garage, not the dealer, and tell him
if you don't have your paperwork in 3 days, you'll be talking about (and naming) his garage with Joe Duffy on Live Line.

:)

-Rd

ontheup,

I had this problem and it was finally sorted last month.
I would suggest the following:
Phone Vehicle Registration Office to check if they have received change of ownership form for your Reg. check what date they are up to with processing applications.
Tel Gardai near your home to explain your position.
NB - Write to the garage immediately, even if they have promised the documents will be with you the next day. You can be fined for Non-diplay of tax disc. You may be able to show the court your letter to dealer which may help as you couldn't do anything about it. Then again I was told I shouldn't be buying the car. Taking this litteraly, I wonder if you could take a legal case to the small claims court for loss of enjoyment of your car which you still can not legaly drive?
If you rec'd any form of receipt from the dealer for your purchase, display it on your dash-board(take a photocopy first, in case lost/stolen/print fades with sunlight) I got so concerned after two months that I resolved to get myself a parking ticket if Vehicle Registration didn't receive documentation two days later!

bg

Its resolved gave the car back to him and got a full refund thanks for your posts

Hi OnTheUp - Just for my curiousity, was it your decision to go for a return/refund, or was this the dealers choice?

Hi rainyday
It was the dealers idea and no complaints here ,All the hassle is gone.

odd

this all seems very odd.

could the dealer have sold you a car that had been left in for a service or something!!!!???

Re: odd

This does seem very strange - Could he have sold you a stolen car?

Is he a reputable dealer? [Forgive the oxymoron] Is he a [broken link removed] member?

Back