Motor 2nd Car Insurance

pyzon

I have two cars, one of which I cancelled the insurance on and don't use and in the process of selling. I want to get this 2nd car serviced but for obvious reasons I can't drive it on the road.

Firstly, am I required to have it insured regardless, it's sitting on my driveway not used and any potential purchaser will use their insurance or transfer etc.

Secondly the current insurers of my main car 123 won't let me temporarily transfer insurace to the 2nd car as i am the registered owner of both cars..(not sure why that is but they will not). I guess the only way around this is to get a new policy on the car - is this correct? I assume there is no issues with who I have the insurance policy with - doesn't have to be 123?

Thirdly, do you think there would be issues with the insurer if I got a new insurance policy, got the car serviced and then in a week or two the car is sold - I cancel the policy and they refund me whatever is owing? assuming there would be small admin charges. Or if the policy was cancelled within some cooling off period?

thanks for replies.

You should be able to set up a new policy and then cancel it later for a pro-rata refund. Some of these refunds are actually calculated by the day, but others may only offer a refund for each full month remaining on the policy.

How about getting friend/family member with their own comprehensive insurance on their own car to drive yours (with 3rd party coverage) to the garage for you ?

Thanks for the info, I'll probably go the insurance route - family are in Dublin and I'm in Wex so that's not an option.

Back