2nd best country in the world

odyssey06

Apparently, Ireland is not a kip.

IRELAND HAS BEEN ranked second-highest in the the the world for quality of life, according to a new study by the United Nations.
The ranking appears in the UN’s annual Human Development Index, which is calculated on health, education and income.
Ireland moves up one place from last year, and now only sits behind Norway, the country deemed to have the best quality of life in the world.
Switzerland, Hong Kong, Iceland, Germany, Sweden, Australia, the Netherlands and Denmark rounded out the top ten for this year.

Ireland has second-highest quality of life in the world, according to the UN (thejournal.ie)

Won’t suit the political narrative of SF, RBB, Paul Murphy, PBP and the rest of the “populist” movement.

There might be some leprechaun economics inflating our wealth rating but even adjusted for that suggests we should be Top 10.

For once , it is a great achievement to be in second place, but ahead of some great countries.

@joer surely to God you're not suggesting Herr Trump failed in his MAGA campaign!!! His country didn't seem to make the list and I mean he really, really won that election.

I reckon that Ireland are No. 1. :confused:

Wikipedia on HDI calculation said:
New method (2010 Index onwards)[edit]

Published on 4 November 2010 (and updated on 10 June 2011), the 2010 Human Development Report calculated the HDI combining three dimensions:

In its 2010 Human Development Report, the UNDP began using a new method of calculating the HDI. The following three indices are used:

1. Life Expectancy Index (LEI) =(LE-20)/(85-20)

LEI is 1 when Life expectancy at birth is 85 and 0 when Life expectancy at birth is 20.
2. Education Index (EI)=(MYSI)+(EYSI))/2

2.1 Mean Years of Schooling Index (MYSI) =MYS/15 Fifteen is the projected maximum of this indicator for 2025.
2.2 Expected Years of Schooling Index (EYSI) = EYS/18 Eighteen is equivalent to achieving a master's degree in most countries.
3. Income Index (II) = (ln(GNIpc)-\ln(100))\(ln(75,000)-ln(100)

II is 1 when GNI per capita is $75,000 and 0 when GNI per capita is $100.
Finally, the HDI is the geometric mean of the previous three normalized indices:

HDI = (LEI * EI * II)^(1/3)

LE: Life expectancy at birth
MYS: Mean years of schooling (i.e. years that a person aged 25 or older has spent in formal education)
EYS: Expected years of schooling (i.e. total expected years of schooling for children under 18 years of age)
GNIpc: Gross national income at purchasing power parity per capita
Using the notation in the Wiki link, Ireland has the following figures:
LE 82.3
EYS 18.7
MYS 12.7
GNIpc 68371
giving
LEI .958
EI .943
II .986
and finally
HDI = .962
Not .955 as in the rankings. Norway and Switzerland are calculated correctly at .957 and .955 respectively, so that means Ireland is No. 1 and by a fair margin.

Last edited:
Sure if your not going to be first you might as well be second ;) , second is always better than third.....

I reckon that Ireland are No. 1. :confused:

Using the notation in the Wiki link, Ireland has the following figures:
LE 82.3
EYS 18.7
MYS 12.7
GNIpc 68371
giving
LEI .958
EI .943
II .986
and finally
HDI = .962
Not .955 as in the rankings. Norway and Switzerland are calculated correctly at .957 and .955 respectively, so that means Ireland is No. 1 and by a fair margin.
We are probably in the top 10. Our inflated GNP distorts the figures. GNI* is a much better figure. I do think this is a great country. I'd prefer to live in this place than the USA or UK, though there's parts of up-State New York and Connecticut that I could live in and parts of the South of England I could also live but culturally I prefer here.

The drinking culture ?
As Arsene Wenger once opined " everyone thinks they have the prettiest wife at home."

The drinking culture ?
As Arsene Wenger once opined " everyone thinks they have the prettiest wife at home."
No the tolerance and moderation. The understanding by most people that Nationalism is dangerous. The friendliness. The fact that this is a republic and, unlike the UK, we are all equal under the law. That sort of thing.
I'm not aa big fan of the drinking culture, something we do share with the UK.

Back