2011 View on Low Voltage v Mains Voltage Downlighters

BMD

Hi,

I am looking for a 2011 view on Low Voltage v Mains Voltage Downlighters.

Everything I have read is a few years out of date and I know that this is an area that is rapidly changing.

Installation cost is not a factor as I have low voltage spec'd in my build spec, however what should I be going for?

From air tightness, insulation and fire perspective I no longer spec downlighters:)

You need lighting for purpose and sticking loads of downlighters all over the house is passe in my view

I'm not sticking down lighters all over the house...only a few rooms

I have air-tightness, fire safety and insulation covered regardless of which type of downlighter I go with therefore my focus in on performance, longevity, running costs (bulb and fitting replacement), quality of light, control of light, availability of low wattage bulbs etc.

In my opinion mains voltage is better. Low voltage always give problems in that the transformers nearly always overheat and burn out. The low voltage also do not save money. Low wattage does.

Best to fit mains 220V with low wattage bulbs or better still 220V LED lights. Check the lux on the bulb and some can be very poor. Make sure you go for the GU10 fitting and not the screw fitting. They become brittle over time and crack.

Back