2007 inheritance

Bandit999

Hello,
Ill like to hear some opinions on this please.
I have found out this weekend I was left 5000 pounds in my late nans will.
This was in 2007!!
So I contacted the solicitors who delt with the will, a senior partner called on Monday to say he has opened the file and it looks like I was issued a cheque for 5000 to my address at the time.
Well this is all news to me, he then said that it looks like maybe it's been cashed.
I was living alone at the time so it couldnt be someone with access to my flat and all I can think of is maybe its the postman, anyway looking for some advice if ill see my nans money 13 years later?
Thank

You just might be fortunate that it was a solicitor's cheque. Solicitors are obliged to get their original cheques back from the bank. This cheque might be outside retention period, but there is a reasonable chance the solicitor will be able to produce the cheque. The stamping on front/rear of cheque may enable you to figure out where it was lodged, and possibly who lodged it.

You just might be fortunate that it was a solicitor's cheque. Solicitors are obliged to get their original cheques back from the bank. This cheque might be outside retention period, but there is a reasonable chance the solicitor will be able to produce the cheque. The stamping on front/rear of cheque may enable you to figure out where it was lodged, and possibly who lodged it.

Yes the solicitors have stated they sent the cheque.
I cant see how a cheque for that amont could of been cashed without some sort of fake IDs

It's easy enough to let the OP know that is is an Irish site; if that was your point.

I still say pounds, feet, inches; my parents used shillings & bob long after they were legal currency.

In any event - to the OP - the Solicitor in question should be able to trace the cheque lodgement.

As an executor, I had the beneficiaries sign a short letter to confirm receipt of their bequests; surprised this wasn't done in this case.

Banks don't bother checking cheques that are being lodged much. My mother was having insurance work done to damage at her home and a worker stole 2 cheques from her book. Each one was lodged to different accounts with very clear different hand writing and each for €3000. Bank admitted to investigating officer that once lodged they often don't look at them.

But your mother wasn't out of pocket by 6k once the fraud was uncovered.

Thats why the OP needs the Solicitor to trace the cheque lodgement.

Banks don't bother checking cheques that are being lodged much. My mother was having insurance work done to damage at her home and a worker stole 2 cheques from her book. Each one was lodged to different accounts with very clear different hand writing and each for €3000. Bank admitted to investigating officer that once lodged they often don't look at them.

That is a completely different situation since the person who wrote the cheque was in a position to place no restrictions on the cheque. Solicitors normally restricts options to cash the cheque and unlike signatures these restrictions are usually checked.

Back