2 Credit Cards on 1 account

• Thread starter rockandroll
  • Start date
R

rockandroll

I'm applying for my 1st cc, just wondering if it's possible to get 2 cc's for the 1 account, 1 for me & 1 for my partner. If so, do you get charged the government €40 twice, i.e. is it charged per card or on the account. I friend told me you only get charged per account but the bank said i get charged per card - which is right?

Yes it is possible to have more than one card, and as far as I know, the €40 is levied on the account, not the card, but I'm sure someone with 2 cards will clarify if they are charged twice.

You can have up to 4 additional cardholders under your account for the €40 Stamp Duty. However the account will be just in your name, you can't put another name on it. But their card will have their name on it only but will come out of your account. This is how I have mine, or should I say ours!

Never held a second card but did remember reading the AIB "be" offer ([broken link removed]) including....
Second Card Free

You can nominate a family member, partner, or close friend as an additional cardholder on your account.
Checking the fees and charges [broken link removed] it only makes mention of one €40 payment (for the account not the cards).

Not exactly a crystal clear clarification but does seem to agree with Ccovich above.

(No connection with AIB, just happen to be where I bank)

Edit: Issue already cleared up by Roxy.
Do some banks charge a fee (€10 similiar to the issue of a replacement card) for issuing multiple cards to an account?

I have two cards operating off my MBNA account.

You only pay the €40 once, i.e. on the account, not the cards, as suggested by CCOVICH.

Just make sure all cardholders are aware that the person in whose name the account is held bears ultimate responsibility for all spending on the account.

Sherman said:
I have two cards operating off my MBNA account.

Did MBNA charge any sort of processing fee when issuing the second card?

I'm really just wondering if the AIB "offer" is really just providing something for free which is already being offered as standard by most banks.

You are only charged 40 euro once, no matter how many names on account, but if you take another card out with a different lender you'll be charged again. In this instance you have to request a letter from the first lender stating that you've already paid the gov. duty and forward it to the second lender who will refund your money.

Satanta said:
Did MBNA charge any sort of processing fee when issuing the second card?

I'm really just wondering if the AIB "offer" is really just providing something for free which is already being offered as standard by most banks.

Not sure about MBNA but BOI Advantage Card is free, no €10 charge for extra card or anything like it. Sounds a bit irish from AIB, nothing seems to be free with them. Ulster Bank has same policy as BOI.

liteweight said:
You are only charged 40 euro once, no matter how many names on account.....
I presume that was in relation to my follow up question???.....

I'm questioning the use of a second card (for a child/partner/parent/sibling) on a single credit card account. I believe that if they have to issue a replacement card (broken card/lost/etc) they charge a fee (similiar to replacement of an ATM card, €10 I believe though can't remember where this figure has come into my head from).
The AIB card seems to make a deal of their special "offer" of a second card free, I'm wondering if this is just an attempt to offer something which should be standard. Also wondering if in a case where a card is damaged, can a second name be added to the account (say a parent) and the second card used in place of the original which was damaged?

Both purely being asked out of interest..
(edit: I could also be mistaken about the fee for a replacement card. Never had to investigate this.)

Ulster Bank and NIB charge you when your ATM card is renewed, i.e. after it expires.

I have never heard of cc companies charging fees for cards in Ireland (not in recent times), but many of them advertise the fact that they charge 'no annual fees' or issue additional cards 'at no extra cost/free', despite that fact that nobody else charges for these services either.

No, there was no charge from MBNA for them issuing a second card on the same account.

I guess they feel that the more people there are operating off one account, the more spending that'll be put on that account, and the more chance for them to make money from people carrying their balances etc.

Think I misunderstood. Thought you were talking about the government duty on credit cards. I've never been charged for adding a name i.e. child etc. but I don't have an AIB credit card. Maybe they used to charge and now don't. I suspect all banks would have the same in their literature whether other banks charge or not.

CCOVICH said:
Ulster Bank and NIB charge you when your ATM card is renewed, i.e. after it expires.
HA, they won't be charging me when the time comes, we should all be refusing to pay such fees, then they would have to abolish them.

EDIT; sorry CCOVICH, the HA is not aimed at you, just UB!

I'm with UB and my mum has a card on my account. I've only been charged the govt duty of €40 and no other charges for second card. If you spend €6k on UB visa in a year (to dec I think) they credit back the €40.

I see that NIB actually charge €6 you for issuing additional credit cards (or any other plastic card).

You are charged stamp duty per credit card *account*, but you are charged stamp duty per ATM *card*.

Getting a card in a second name on a credit card account is pretty normal, no big deal, and happens all the time. I presume most married people operate with this type of setup - except for the ones who insist on maintaining seperate bank accounts.

It is pretty obvious to me, but as stated above the account is in one persons name only, so be absolutely sure you understand the spending patterns and ability to repay of the other person before getting a card in somone elses name on your account. You will be the one in debt if they overspend on your account and all the small and not so small print on the forms will ensure that you can't tell the bank "I didn't know they could spend my money . . ."

In answer to the original question, the bank was wrong and your friend was right.
z

NIB and Amex will give a second card on the same account which has its own unique card number. This will allow you to keep transactions on the 2 cards seperate. If one card is lost/stolen, you can shut down one account without shutting down the other.

zag said:
Getting a card in a second name on a credit card account is pretty normal, no big deal, and happens all the time. I presume most married people operate with this type of setup

We, as a married couple, maintain two credit card accounts(shock, horror!).

The advantage of maintaining seperate credit card accounts is that we have double the credit limit, should we need it, and as we pay at different times of the month, we can organise it so we have maximum credit for large purchases. As I've mentioned before I have an UB credit card and once the spend is €6K or more the govt duty of €40 is refunded.

except for the ones who insist on maintaining seperate bank accounts.

and what exactly does this have to do with the point in question?

Back