Health Insurance 2+2 Quote plus some basic questions

Snipersham

Hi everyone,
I'm hoping I can get some answers to a couple of questions.

1. I'm confused about some of the wording regarding In-Patient Care. It's all referring to "private and semi private" stays in hospitals, frankly I don't care where I say as long as I get the best possible care. I'm just concerned about getting the best people looking after me. I can do without staying in a room on my own with flowers and caviar for lunch as long as whatever ailment I'm in hospital for is been taken care of.
Basically what I'm asking is does the level of MEDICIAL CARE suffer if you are NOT STAYING in a PRIVATE or HIGH TECH Hospital?

2. Do I get a HIGHER LEVEL OF CONSULTANT/SURGEON/DOCTOR treating me in a private or High Tech Hospital than a public one?

3. Are there any policies without MATERNITY COVER?

4. Again touching on my point above, since kids are treated in Children's Hospitals, Does it make financial sense to give them the same level of cover on your policy?

5. I have a budget of 1700 for 2 adults and 2 kids. We are all healthy at the moment. What's the best possible cover we could hope for. I don't mind paying a small excess and also not bothered about being covered for GP visits ect..

Thanks in advance.

Thanks in Advance.

Tom

Snipersham,

The main reason for having private hospital cover as well as public hospital cover is to have an extra option to fall back on if waiting times for surgery are too slow in the public hospitals.
Private hospital waiting times would be much quicker than public hospitals. Treatment is the same once you're in, regardless of public or private hospital. Waiting times for surgery is the issue.

Every plan has to have maternity cover as a basic requirement, even for men, no exceptions.

It makes sense to include private/hi-tech cover for children, as sometimes special offers include this cover at a good price. For children over 3 yrs,
the hi-tech hospitals cover a list of childrens surgery. Children 16 - 18 yrs will be dealt with in adult hospitals, unless they have a long term illness and have been attending a childrens hospital for years, in those cases they will continue to be treated in the childrens hospital. So, private hospital cover makes sense for 16 - 18 as an extra option. Public hospital cover is fine, if there are special offers including private cover, it makes sense to avail of it.

Just a couple of questions before I can make any suggestions;
1. Is this the first time taking out health insurance for the 2 adults?
2. If so, are either of you 35 yrs or older?
3. If not, when was the last time you both had health insurance?
4. What ages are the 2 children?

Regards, Snowyb

Snipersham,

The main reason for having private hospital cover as well as public hospital cover is to have an extra option to fall back on if waiting times for surgery are too slow in the public hospitals.
Private hospital waiting times would be much quicker than public hospitals. Treatment is the same once you're in, regardless of public or private hospital. Waiting times for surgery is the issue.

Every plan has to have maternity cover as a basic requirement, even for men, no exceptions.

It makes sense to include private/hi-tech cover for children, as sometimes special offers include this cover at a good price. For children over 3 yrs,
the hi-tech hospitals cover a list of childrens surgery. Children 16 - 18 yrs will be dealt with in adult hospitals, unless they have a long term illness and have been attending a childrens hospital for years, in those cases they will continue to be treated in the childrens hospital. So, private hospital cover makes sense for 16 - 18 as an extra option. Public hospital cover is fine, if there are special offers including private cover, it makes sense to avail of it.

Just a couple of questions before I can make any suggestions;
1. Is this the first time taking out health insurance for the 2 adults?
2. If so, are either of you 35 yrs or older?
3. If not, when was the last time you both had health insurance?
4. What ages are the 2 children?

Hi Snowyb,
Thanks for your prompt reply - clears up a few things many thanks.

In reply to your questions...
1. No, we have had health insurance for the last 10-12 years.
2. yes, we are both early 40's
3. We have been on the flex 500 Explore policy for the past 2 years quote is 1680 (661.50 Adult, 178.50 Child)
4. Our kids are 6 and 9.

regards
Thomas
Regards, Snowyb
sd

The plan you are all on at the moment, is the lowest priced plan including all 3 levels of hospital cover with Laya - public,private and hi-tech.
This is a very good plan that ticks all the boxes re hospital cover at a reasonable price.

Any cheaper adult plans would mean dropping hi-tech cover(except cardiac and orthopaedic) and reducing the choice of private hospitals covered. The savings would be minimal 100 in total, otherwise the only alternative option is to just have public hospital cover only, price 495pa.
[broken link removed]

As an alternative option, Glohealth have launched a new plan called 'Kick Off' plan which is a basic public hospital only plan, adult price 540pa.
This plan has a unique feature which allows you to upgrade, outside renewal date, to 'Kick Off Upgrade Plan' adult price 950pa if you need
surgery in a private hospital anytime in the future. So you can stay on Kick Off plan and don't upgrade unless you have to.
This is a new idea, the first plan of its type, which may be worth researching further.
[broken link removed]

Glohealth has an offer of half price for children under 12 yrs on Nurture Plan (100 per child) and Nurture Plus plan(140 per child). Both include
public, selected private and hi-tech cover.
[broken link removed]

So the overall family price would work out at 540 + 540 + 140 + 140 = 1360 or 1280 depending on the child plan chosen.

Regards, Snowyb

Hi Snowyb,
Thank you very much for your effort on this.

Final Question: Is it possible just to insure just my children with Glohealth to take advantage of the half price offer?

Thanks Again

Thomas

I heard brokers recommending this on radio recently, I'm not sure whether all companies allow it - ie at least one adult on the policy.
Its certainly worth a try, nothing to lose.

I know VHI allow children only on a policy. An adult puts their name on the policy but only the children are covered.
VHI also have half price childrens plans at the moment; One Plus Plan; 131pa; public, private and hi-tech hospitals covered.
This maybe an alternative option.

Snowyb

Hi Snowyb,
I stuck with Laya for myself and my wife = total 1323 and I took out One plus cover for my 2 children = total 262.
Pretty happy with that.

Thanks Again

Back