1st time buyer, stamp duty and temporar

H

Hansi

I am just about to purchase a house as 1st time buyer. And I just found out I may get stuck for stamp duty. This house is to be my principal (and only ) residence. However, I am also due to go abroad in about three months time for work, for a period of just under a year. I will however, definitely return to live in this house. I will also continue to be paid by my employers in Ireland and be treated as a full tax resident here. I realise I cannot rent out the house, but even if I do not do this, will I still be liable for stamp duty? Revenue website and locall have given contradictory statements. Thoughts and advice very welcome. Thanks.

Are you being seconded to work abroad or are you simply choosing to go? If it's the former then you may be able to retain your owner occupier status. However if you rent the property out during the year perhaps not. You may need professional advice. This sort of question has been asked several times before but I've yet to see a catch all answer - possibly because there is none and it all depends on individual circumstances?

Back