1st tax self assessment, when due??

yellowroses

My husbands boss has told him that he is actually classed as a self employed contract worker & that he must sort out his own tax. He started his new job in june this year, earns 12 euro p/h & is told what hours to do etc although when he took a wks holidays he didnt get paid ... So now we have to send in some form & i think it has to be in tomorrow but is the case different for the 1st year of self assessed tax? We really know nothing about taxes, i rang tax office & all they could say was that he sounded like an employee rather than self employed & sent us out a trs1 form which doesnt apply to him as its questions based on his business & he doesnt have a business ... Can anyone offer any advice please?

My husbands boss has told him that he is actually classed as a self employed contract worker & that he must sort out his own tax. He started his new job in june this year, earns 12 euro p/h & is told what hours to do etc although when he took a wks holidays he didnt get paid ... So now we have to send in some form & i think it has to be in tomorrow but is the case different for the 1st year of self assessed tax? We really know nothing about taxes, i rang tax office & all they could say was that he sounded like an employee rather than self employed & sent us out a trs1 form which doesnt apply to him as its questions based on his business & he doesnt have a business ... Can anyone offer any advice please?

Could do the following:

1. File TR1 to file as self employed for income tax- Backdate to June.
2. First set of accounts could be from 01/06/08 to 31/12/08.
3. File first tax return by 31/10/09 and include accounts for the period 01/06/08 to 31/12/08 plus whatever husband was doing from Jan to June plus wife income for year 08.

So would that mean that if he doesn't have to have it in tomorrow?

Does not have to be filed tomorrow. Best them to do next February is calulate your tax due and budget for it. Could pay premilary tax tomorrow if you want for 2008, but as you do not knew the figure best do computation early feb and make a payment on account them if necessary.

your husband should also check out his prsi liabilities, it sounds very odd for someone who regards themselves as an employee to be told 6 months down the line that they're actually self-employed, have his pay slips never included any tax deductions? or is that a recent change?

My husbands boss has told him that he is actually classed as a self employed contract worker & that he must sort out his own tax.

This sounds like a scam. He should bring this matter to the attention of Revenue.

What payslips!!! He doesnt get a payslip, he doesnt get hol or sick pay. He only gets paid for the hours he works. He never had to give his pps no or a p45 & according to the tax office records he is not in employment. He was told that he is working under a contract (which he never had to sign). At the end of month he hands in his hours & a wk later he gets a cheque & an invoice with his name & pay on it. He works for a yacht club ... Its all v confusing for us ...

Back