Laya 1A, age 60, Laya CompanyHealth, renewal 1/2/14, need to upgrade

allencat3

After undergoing cataract surgery (daycase) in 2012 in Blackrock Clinic, I had to pay shortfall of 1,100euros (2 x 510euros) - anyway, that couldn't be helped. Then during this year, I experienced problems with retinal tear/floaters/'secondary cataracts' - which are being and will be managed at the RVEEH.
However, to prepare for future requirements for treatments by private consultants etc, I may have to upgrade the health insurance, and I'd settle for Semi-Private Accomm in Private Hospital and Consultants, while I'll forego the need for Outpatients Benefits, and accept the Excess Option. I had checked out the website - hia.ie (badly designed) - and ended up more baffled than before. Any ideas would be appreciated, and many thanks,
Allencat

Any upgrades for inpatient benefits will probably having waiting periods, but if you expect these treatments to be done privately in RVEEH, then that wont be an issue (other than shortfalls you currently have ie €55/night). If you have numerous treatments and private consultants, it may be beneficial to seek a good day to day cover as you can claim on these with laya without any waiting periods (to the best of my knowledge). So any increase in premiums may be offset by those claims and you are sitting out your waiting period for better inpatient benefits. Not sure what the waiting period is for one 60+ years of age.

Also be aware that laya are bring in loads of new plans in December, but you wont be able to compare on hia until they become active.

Always double check with the provider before making any switch of policy..

S.

Suzie,
Many thanks for advice - I'll wait till early Jan, as my renewal's not due till Feb.
Allencat3

Any upgrades for inpatient benefits will probably having waiting periods, but if you expect these treatments to be done privately in RVEEH, then that wont be an issue (other than shortfalls you currently have ie €55/night). If you have numerous treatments and private consultants, it may be beneficial to seek a good day to day cover as you can claim on these with laya without any waiting periods (to the best of my knowledge). So any increase in premiums may be offset by those claims and you are sitting out your waiting period for better inpatient benefits. Not sure what the waiting period is for one 60+ years of age.

Also be aware that laya are bring in loads of new plans in December, but you wont be able to compare on hia until they become active.

Always double check with the provider before making any switch of policy..

S.

Back