Laya 1A 4C Laya Simply Health Excess need to down grade

poppy265

Sorry if this has been covered im finding renewing my health insurance so confusing .

Im currently on Laya Simply Health Excess for 1 Adult and 4 Children but my renewal came in very expensive so need to downgrade.

I was offered Essential Connect Saver but if im reading it right does this only cover semi private in public hospital?

I would like policy that is good for the children as they are always sick all have asthma plus one with nut allergy. My 3 year old needs tonsilis out also so will need cover to get this done.

I've been reading for the past two weeks different policies and im still in limbo what will be the best option.

I dont mind not claiming back gp bills etc. and for myself i only want good hospital cover any advice is much appreciated as im going toggle eyed at the moment flicking through pages etc.

Have a look at Avivas Family Focus Plans for the kids
€150 for children aged 5-17 and €241 for 0-4 year olds. Also first focus for your could be a good fit. Hope this helps

The Health Insurance Authority website is meant to be of help but they offer 36 and 96 comparisons for your current plan. Some of the comparisons they make are offshore and the detail is incorrect. Matthew2011 mentions Family Focus for the kids and correctly states that kids aged between 5-17 are €150. The website shows a different price but Matthew2011's price is right.

Laya and GLO charge a premium for a 4th kid, Vhi don't and Aviva charge the cost of levy.

If you don't want maternity cover, €765 for First Focus for adults, private room in selected public and private hospitals. Emergency cover only for public hospitals not covered on the Aviva list. This is a new concept in health insurance designed to reduce prices. We will see this type of plan a lot next year when prices start to rise.

Think carefully before you downgrade. We did that (just two adults on the policy), thinking that we don't need to be in private hospitals or private clinics etc. Since then, this year so far it has cost us a lot of yoyos (€'s) to have outpatient appointments with only 2 consultants (so far, about €1,500), and more to come. There is no point in having private cover if you don't have access to healthcare services when you need them - we have now discovered to our cost that because we opted out of the 'private' system, we have to pay for every consultant visit, xrays, most hospital treatments if we don't want to wait at least 2 years for them. Beware!

Back