1980s turntable/ 1990s amp/ 2020s bluetooth speaker

deanpark

Hi. I have a 1980s turntable and an old 90s amp (with phono). I want to play the TT using the old amp through a bluetooth speaker. I have read about bluetooth transmitters but need a bit of advice on what to buy and step by step how to set up. Any steer on how best / easily to do this?

Hi. I have a 1980s turntable and an old 90s amp (with phono). I want to play the TT using the old amp through a bluetooth speaker. I have read about bluetooth transmitters but need a bit of advice on what to buy and step by step how to set up. Any steer on how best / easily to do this?
I have same. Get a chrome cast audio from Google. Plug into aux then you can connect any wireless WiFi device / speaker. Much better as WiFi range better than short range Bluetooth.

You can stream any audio and play through your hifi speakers then for super sound

Does the chrome cast have a connection/plug to go into back of an old amp. Or is an adaptor needed?

I have same. Get a chrome cast audio from Google. Plug into aux then you can connect any wireless WiFi device / speaker. Much better as WiFi range better than short range Bluetooth.

You can stream any audio and play through your hifi speakers then for super sound
As I said I want to play TT/ Amp thru bluetooth speaker not hi fi speakers.

As I said I want to play TT/ Amp thru bluetooth speaker not hi fi speakers.
Your problem is that will result in a poor quality, non hi-fi sound. The quality bottleneck is the Bluetooth link and the amplifier at the speaker end. If you're using the old amp, then presumably you're using speaker level signals. To get that to the Bluetooth speaker, it needs to be digitised, transmitted to the speaker AND then reconverted via a DAC and amplified to speaker level again. Most Bluetooth speakers are cheap affairs that have a basic DAC and amp build in. But seriously, what quality do you think you're going to get unless you're spending multiple hundreds of Euros. And if you're gonna do that, there are better ways to go.

You could try looking at a new amp with a digital output and a moderately expensive Bluetooth speaker? But why would you? Wired is the way to go if you want quality. If you're happy with lo-fi, just stream from your phone. It'll be just as good as the turntable/amp combo via Bluetooth.

Your problem is that will result in a poor quality, non hi-fi sound. The quality bottleneck is the Bluetooth link and the amplifier at the speaker end. If you're using the old amp, then presumably you're using speaker level signals. To get that to the Bluetooth speaker, it needs to be digitised, transmitted to the speaker AND then reconverted via a DAC and amplified to speaker level again. Most Bluetooth speakers are cheap affairs that have a basic DAC and amp build in. But seriously, what quality do you think you're going to get unless you're spending multiple hundreds of Euros. And if you're gonna do that, there are better ways to go.

You could try looking at a new amp with a digital output and a moderately expensive Bluetooth speaker? But why would you? Wired is the way to go if you want quality. If you're happy with lo-fi, just stream from your phone. It'll be just as good as the turntable/amp combo via Bluetooth.
Thanks. I was wanting to play vinyl in the (small) kitchen on my back up amp & TT. I have a good/ big bluetooth speaker already there for the TV so wanted to see if was feasible.

It was to avoid having 3 speakers in kitchen!

But I take your point - probably not worth it! Ah well. Thanks for helpful posting.

This is 100 % accurate, Bluetooth is not a patch, on a fully wired analogue system. I do use it regularly for convienience only, but it pales in comparison, to my all analogue wired vinyl->amp->wired speakers.

Allthough, i have heard good reports on hi res streaming, IF, you have the right gear, Amazon HD, QO Buzz etc, coupled with a decent DAC, but not alas Spotify, which stubbornly continues to be low res, however, blutooth is undoubtedly a very handy solution, when on the move, in your car, away on holidays, or a kitchen setup.

But what i have found in recent years, is that Spotify is where i hear music first, or check in on a new band thats playing or whatever, so i am learning a lot about new material or previously unheard material, playing vinyl, is mostly music i already know, but the sound, if you have good gear, betters, well, everything.

Last edited:
I have a Rega turntable, Marantz amp & cd player, Mission speakers with QED cables and I really appreciate now how good LPs & CDs sound on a decent analogue set up. Bliss.

Spotify is great too but I have moved away from it a bit more in past few years back in favour of vinyl & cd.

It’s Vinyl. It is not hi-end audio to start with. any ”basic” DAC will do the job good enough for vinyl.
But I agree that most bluetooth Speakers aren’t great, unless you are talking about KEF LS50 or somesuch

Reactions: Leo
I think you also have to remember the listening environment as well
In my sitting room I have a complete Meridian 500 bi amped system that I absolutely love the sound from
but most my music listening these days is done either in the car or out on the bike and not of the same quality but no more less enjoyable
deanpark wants a bit of music in the kitchen presumable while cooking so it doesn't have to be perfect to be on in the background!!

Back