190k to save/invest for 2 years, going volunteering abroad

J

jener

Hi,

I'm 37, do not own a house, and have 190k in cash (150k in Rabo, 40k in INBS Freedom Share a/c) as well as a few thousand from drip feeding 500 a month into a BOI high interest current a/c. No debts or liabilities.
In January I'm going to SE Asia volunteering for two years. I intend to buy a house when I come back in two year's time into paid employment.

My main objective is to try to preserve my savings for the two years I am going away. I can leave the money where it is but the interest rates will not keep pace with inflation. I've had a look at the best buys threads about getting a better interest rate, and might put some money into a 6 or 12 months notice a/c (Anglo looks good) to get a higher rate when I'm away. I've looked at some investments, but there are so many pros and cons, and seems like a 5-7 year play is needed...

I just thought I would ask the forum in case there was anything I had not considered, any suggestions gratefully received.

thanks!
Jen

cheapest money you will ever get is mortgage money, so personally would not pay cash.
do you have pension set up?
2 yrs too short for equities really if you need to liquidate.
assuming you had definite job now I would keep house deposit liquid and tie up the rest in pension/investments with 10 yr plus perspective.
Over 10 years equities will outperform the mortgage rate most likely but ensure pension fully funded.

Back