160BG DVD/HDD Recorder

pennypincher

I see Aldi are selling 160Gig DVD Recorder for 345Euro tomorrow.Seems pretty good plus you get a 3 year Guarentee,has anyone bought one of these off Aldi before?
Rgds Derek

seems to be good value and a good guarantee.

other brand names such as sony hx710 may have that quality feel about them that the tevion doesn't.

read the thread "Current best value DVD recorder"

for the money you can't really get the same spec for less.

Plenty of discussion (generally favourable) on boards.ie One issue is that it may not be able to record from certain channels here in Ireland.

CCOVICH said:
Plenty of discussion (generally favourable) on boards.ie One issue is that it may not be able to record from certain channels here in Ireland.

CCOVICH - Any idea which channels and why it might'nt be able to record in Ireland?

Anyone see the one on sale on Max.TV for £129.00? I know this is sterling but it seems to be a good price.

Gimme said:
CCOVICH - Any idea which channels and why it might'nt be able to record in Ireland?

Not off the top of my head. Check out the Bargain Alerts section on boards.ie (for this and all other Aldi/Lidl electronics offers)

Irish TV uses System I, i.e. PAL colour with a 625 line standard with a 6MHz separation between the sound and vision signals. This is the same system as the UK but unlike the UK, VHF is used in addition to UHF. RTE One and Network Two are transmitted using a mix of UHF and VHF, but TG4 and TV3 are transmitted solely on UHF.

So you have to make sure that the system has VHF included in it's tuner AFAIK.

My Sony HX710 had no problem scanning VHF and picking up all channels. I think it's probably only the Irish ones you will have a problem with if the tuner doesn't have VHF.

As far as I know Aldi (and Lidl) have a no quibble money back guarantee so in the (I would assume unlikely) event that there are problems with using it in Ireland then just bring it back to the shop in the original packaging for a refund. A colleague bought one this morning and wasn't aware of any limitations with using it here and he's the type who would be up to date on such matters.

They pretty much said the same thing on boards, i.e. that it would be stupid of Aldi/Lidl to sell products that didn't function correctly in Ireland. (I'm not saying that they won't/don't..............)

CCOVICH said:
They pretty much said the same thing on boards, i.e. that it would be stupid of Aldi/Lidl to sell products that didn't function correctly in Ireland. (I'm not saying that they won't/don't..............)

Well, has anyone bought one and tried it out yet?

Yes, I got one this morning. It didn't come with a manual and the blank DVD was missing. So back to Aldi tomorrow.

PMU said:
Yes, I got one this morning. It didn't come with a manual and the blank DVD was missing. So back to Aldi tomorrow.

A colleague bought the 250GB external hard disk and it died within a month. While they did replace it, he had lost all the data.

I hope the HDD/DVD writer is more reliable!

Simply put the Tevion (Medion) 160gb DVD/HDD recorder from Aldi was a bit of a disaster and is going back. It came without a manual, guarantee card or the blank dvd which makes me think it had already been returned and was just re-boxed and put back on sale. I got a manual over the internet from Medion, but basically it just doesn’t work. The Videoplus+ doesn’t work, timer recordings stopped before the programmed time, others disappeared, and it won’t delete recordings. Also it was the most non-intuitive machine I’ve ever had. So it’s going back.

Tellin ya - my favourite machine is the biz - the Sony HX710 at Pixmania which is now only Eur484.

podgerodge said:
Tellin ya - my favourite machine is the biz - the Sony HX710 at Pixmania which is now only Eur484.

Looks the biz - double layer recording is useful but the discs are still too expensive.

However, I don't know why Sony persist in releasing models WITHOUT HDMI or DVI outputs. :(

The model I want is the Pioneer DVR-920H-S but it is expensive (around a grand - Sterling!!!) and I don't think available in Ireland with dual tuner yet. It's a pity that the EPG (TV guide) doesn't work in Ireland either.

Back