Health Insurance 13 week rule

chanceofsun

My spouse is starting a new job which includes a good health insurance policy for the whole family.
However our last policy with Glohealth ran out 10 weeks ago. This policy I paid myself. I did not renew the policy as money was very tight and I was assured that the new job contract was imminent, complete was very good health insurance.
I did not want to buy a full year's health insurance if another policy would also be paid for by the new employer. I would be tied to paying the years policys along with having another policy covered for free. The employers policy is far superior to what we are currently on.
I am aware that I can buy a new policy within the 13 weeks without it affecting our waiting periods as my spouse has pre-existing condition.
Now I have found out that the new contract will not start within this 13 week period.
Am I resigned to having a pay for a years health insurance myself to preserve our waiting period, community rating etc or is there another option I am not thinking of?
Thank you very much.

chanceofsun,

What plan were you on and what is the name of the new plan with his employer?

Snowyb

Hi Snowyb,
Thanks for the response and apologies for being slow in getting back to you.
I haven't got the details to hand but we were on a bog standard Glohealth plan i.e public bed cover, no day to day expenses.My aim fo rthe last few years was just to hang onto health insurance in any form and upgrade as finances allow. To have an employer pay for it is a huge bonus to my budget.
The new plan is an Aviva plan. I don't have the name but it is a far superior company plan. Its 18 months since I saw the brochure but I remember it was worth approximately 3-4 times per month the cost of my old plan. It covers private hospitals, day to day, some dental etc.
I am considering due paying for the cheapest plan on the market just to keep our waiting period but i feels like such a waste of money considering a free ( outside of tax) plan will shortly be paid for. Any input would be very appreciated.

Last edited:
You can renew your original plan within 13 weeks of renewal date and continue paying upto the commencement date of the new employers plan.
Irish Life allow you to switch to another Irish Life plan mid year so there is no need to pay for a full year in advance, just pay monthly upto the
relevant date.
This is important to do so that your husband does not have to re-serve waiting times for his pre-existing condition, which is 5 years.
Note; regarding his pre-existing condition, he will be covered as per your current plan as before and will serve an upgrade waiting time of 2 years
for any extra cover on the new plan. He will be fully covered straight away for any new illnesses on the new plan.
For day to day expenses, there is no waiting time for under 55 yrs. There is a 26 week wait if you are over 55 yrs.

Snowyb

Back