1 FTB, 1 had property in UK -Stamp Duty Avoidable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

EleanorRigby

Hi I need advice badly.

I have never owned property and would be considered a FTB. My Boyfriend however did buy a flat in the UK with a previous partner (not married) - things didn't work out and he moved out (within a month) and signed his half over without any financial gain.

Do we have to pay stamp duty - is there any way around it, it's very unfair if we do. If i go on the deeds without him but both have mortgage?

We have found a house applied for a mortgage as FTB's -should we say anything - how likely would we be found out?

How will anyone know he did bought if we don't disclose it?

Stressed and Worried
ER

If your boyfriend owned a property previously then you do not qualify as FTB. Both parties must be FTB in order to avail of stamp duty exemption. Try doing a search on this site as the subject has come up many times before.

No - I just want to know what our options are. Surely in genuine cases where no financial gain was made allowances must be made

No - I just want to know what our options are. Surely in genuine cases where no financial gain was made allowances must be made

Rules are rules. If the purchasing party or part of it is not a FTB, there are no special cases.

I thought there was some allowance for people in relationships who purchased property & then broke up, where one partner stayed in the home, there was a possibility for the partner leaving to retain his ftb status?

I thought there was some allowance for people in relationships who purchased property & then broke up, where one partner stayed in the home, there was a possibility for the partner leaving to retain his ftb status?

I think this only applies where there is a formal separation agreement in place, which would imply that the couple would have to have been married.

There are plenty of posts about this. This board does not offer advice on how to thieve from legitimate tax payers. It is not who dares wins: it is who steals and hopes to get away with it will ultimately be found out and pay penalties and interest. Don't fool yourself Ruby - the taxman is no fool, stamp duty is payable on a self asessment basis. You tell your lies, you takes your chances and you pays your dues.

mf

The original question has been answered so to avoid yet more fraud/evasion encouragement posts I'm closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back