04 BMW 320d versus 08 Mondeo

Slim

I am currently torn between a trade in against a 04 BMW 320d and a new Ford Mondeo, 1.8tdci. Both will cost me about the same to trade in. My question is: which vehicle will depreciate more over the next 3 years? BMW is priced at €27k, Mondeo approx €29k.

SLim

Why not do a comparison on www.carzone.ie?

Well, I could not get onto Carzone for a lot of today. Also, the Mondeo is a new model, the BMW is the older version of the 320. I also had awful difficulty getting onto BMW.ie. Apparently, my computer will not support their configurator for pricing!!

My concern is that the old model 320d is about to plummet in secondhand values and the Mondeo is a notorious depreciator!

Slim

At a guess, you'll lose less on the BMW - it's taken it's biggest hit already. The Mondeo's first three years will be it's worst.

I am currently torn between a trade in against a 04 BMW 320d and a new Ford Mondeo, 1.8tdci. Both will cost me about the same to trade in. My question is: which vehicle will depreciate more over the next 3 years? BMW is priced at €27k, Mondeo approx €29k.

SLim

in 3 years the bmw will be 7 years old...going in to its eight year. Who wants a car that old ?

in 3 years the bmw will be 7 years old...going in to its eight year. Who wants a car that old ?

Ooh, hark at you...

Loadsa people want cars 'that old' because they know they can get a bargain.

I'm looking to buy a car in the next year and will happily look at 2000 models if it's the right car.

I currently drive a 10 year old BMW and I love it. I actually prefer it to many newer cars I've driven (Toyota, Ford, Renault, Opel etc.) and they're available for a fraction of the price of a new car.

But in the meantime, you go ahead and spend your money on a '04 BMW or an '08 Mondeo (supposed to be a fantastic car, fwiw) and when you sell it and take the huge hit in depreciation, someone like me will happily take it off your hands :)

Interesting one this. The comparison isn't easy.

BMW is smaller, older, will cost more in renewals/repairs. It's sportier however, rwd, and will loose less in depreciation (as it's used already). It'll have a limited warranty (if any) and the usual 2nd hand purchase risks will apply.

Mondeo is bigger, new, and will depreciate quicker most likely. It'll be more comfortable, perhaps safer, and will need less repairs. It'll have new everything, and will carry a 2 year factory warranty.

Tough call, but 2 very different cars.

The big concern I'd have with the 320d is that a buyer would potentially look at buying a second hand import (to get the new lower tax and VRT based on CO2 emissions) than to buy your second hand car at the higher rates.

[if I was the buyer it's the first thing I'd look at]

To avoid this, when selling on the 320d, it would have to have enough of a saving built in to mitigate the savings (I'm not even sure how I'd attempt to calculate what the price difference would need to be.... tax saving per year, expected years of ownership, price drop (due to higher tax) on resale etc.) available on an import. The price on the 320d above might already have some of this built in.... but I'd spend a while crunching the numbers to make sure your not going to get badly hit.

It would be worth taking the VRT changes in July into account. The price of a new 320d should fall by 7-8k (moves from 30% to 16% VRT rate for manual transmission) and I would assume that will have some impact on the prices of used models.

SLim

27K for the BMW seems high. I know a person who bought a similar 5 year old car last year for 17k. So maybe you could knock a few thousand off the asking price. They are very happy with the BMW by the way.

Not to put a damper on OP's enthusiasm but from contacts in the trade, that particular BMW 320D is one of the least attractive trade-ins and that car sounds like its priced several thousands over its real value, even if its a minter M Sport with low mileage and lots of extras.

Prices seem to run from close to 30k down to about 12k. There are dozens of 320D's for sale privately on various sites.

Only one answer to this question. Buy a 320D new model in Northern Ireland and spend about 30K for a late 05.

Or wait until these new Vrt rules come in, if they ever do! Then buy the 320D and save like 4k!

Back