02 Hyundai Sonata / 01 BMW

MUM2KIDS

Hi, before anyone starts, I am a female driver and when it comes to cars the main thing is reliability and space. I am looking to change my car and have been offerred 2 cars at good prices - 02 Hyundai Sonata autoamtic 52k miles, €10k or a 01 BMW316i 38k miles €16k. What should I look for in both cars... is €15k for a 5 year old car too expensive. Thanks

I have a BMW 318i and couldn't recommend it highly enough. Know next to nothing re Hyundai.

Just make sure that beamer is not a coupe or you'll break your back getting the kids in and out of the back seat. I would not go for either of those cars. When it comes to kidz get a brat wagon or more correctly known as a Multiple Purpose Vehicle (MPV or MiniMPV) i.e. hyundai trajet, renault scenic, citroen picasso, fiat multipla. Go to www.carzone.ie for good deals.

If you get the Beemer, you are paying a premium for the driving characteristics and the badge/image. Seeing as you do not appear to value these, there is no point in paying for them.
The sonata is probably the polar opposite of the Beemer. It is however a reasonably large car with lots of extras. Beware - Sonata is a 2 litre engine so will have higher running costs and I would say it will be impossible to sell on (at any price).

If space and reliability are the characteristics you value the most then you cannot really go beyond a 5 door Honda Civic. Stay well clear of any of the french, italian cars mentioned above. They will break down.

Best car in the small family class is neither of these.

The Ford Focus is tops for many reasons. Deservedly so too.

Another happy Beemer driver here. Boot Space bit restricted though and servicing expensive. I drive the 316 and find it great.

Hi thanks for all your replys, I was going to go for the Beamer but its gone. The Sonata is just too big and not what I wanted. Take all your suggestions on board as the search continues

Back