00 Ford Focus 1.6L Ghia saloon

DOBBER22

Has anybody ever owned one of these? If so opinions would be appreciated please as I've come across a real bargain and am tempted to purchase. It's a 1.6L Zetec

Don't own one but drive one at work regularly. All of us at work find it to be a great machine to drive. Excellent performance and fuel economy with great passenger comfort and space and a decent boot as well. I'd be inclined to make sure it has a full service history and timing belt done etc. Other than that it is a reliable car and well equipped as well, hope this helps.

SOM42 said:
Don't own one but drive one at work regularly. All of us at work find it to be a great machine to drive. Excellent performance and fuel economy with great passenger comfort and space and a decent boot as well. I'd be inclined to make sure it has a full service history and timing belt done etc. Other than that it is a reliable car and well equipped as well, hope this helps.

Thanks, hows about you RS2K? Any input here as I seem to remember you work for Ford? ;)

I drive a ford focus 04. I love it. Very comfortable on long journeys and very roomy. I keep hitting the volume control with my knee though but thats no biggie. I prefer it over the new model aswell because the steering is much tighter on my one. If its a bargain then I really recommend it.

DOBBER22 said:
Thanks, hows about you RS2K? Any input here as I seem to remember you work for Ford? ;)

I don't work for them, but benefit from the Employees purchase scheme.

Any Focus is a good car, and the 1.6 petrol motor is ideal. Ghia spec. is decent.

Personally I prefer a hatchback to a saloon, but if you want a big boot, go right ahead.

Parkers.co.uk have a good guide. Buy a good , well cared or example and you can't go wrong. Get a/c if you can.

RS2K said:
I don't work for them, but benefit from the Employees purchase scheme.

Any Focus is a good car, and the 1.6 petrol motor is ideal. Ghia spec. is decent.

Personally I prefer a hatchback to a saloon, but if you want a big boot, go right ahead.

Parkers.co.uk have a good guide. Buy a good , well cared or example and you can't go wrong. Get a/c if you can.

Thanks

My wife drives a '99 Ford Focus 1.6L Ghia saloon. When the new model came out, we were going to change, but after driving it, the older Ghia seems nicer, more comfortable. So she is happy to drive the old car.

It now has 70k miles on it, and the only thing that needed replacing was a front anti roll bar.

I was surprised that in the ford manual, it allows for 90k miles for timing belt replacement, which seems alot compared with other cars (approx. 60k), so it might be an idea to get it changed if buying the car from a garage for piece of mind.

There is a known issue with early foci , in that the vehicle speed sensor start behaving erractically. I repplaced mine there recently not an expensive part mind you roughly 40 euro. Also rear wheel bearings tend to go fairly fast ,replaced mine at about 50k. Otherwise love the car, not the most fuel efficient though.

Back