€4k savings on a French car purchase even with VRT?

Betsy Og

I have this was featured on a radio show last week or early this week? Anyone hear it or have more details??

Is there Import Duty on goods brought into Ireland from other EU countries ? - I didn't think so

Also, you can go to a dealer in France and you can order a right hand drive car - under EU law they cannot refuse to take your order (I think!)

Vat is applied to all cars less than 6 months old regardless whether they were purchased within the EU.

No there is no import duty however vrt applies (unless the car is greater than 25 years old) and vat if the car is less than 6 months old(as mentioned above).

Eurofan said:
No there is no import duty however vrt applies (unless the car is greater than 25 years old) and vat if the car is less than 6 months old(as mentioned above).

its actually 30 years old which is considered a classic car,

however if you could live with driving around in a camper van bought in france or uk , there is a flat rate of 50 euro vrt!

mc-BigE said:
its actually 30 years old which is considered a classic car,

however if you could live with driving around in a camper van bought in france or uk , there is a flat rate of 50 euro vrt!
Ah yes quite correct i was mixing it up briefly with insurance regulations.

Funny old country isn't it where camper vans and 30 year old 5litre supercars are the cheapest to tax :rolleyes:

Eurofan said:
Funny old country isn't it where camper vans and 30 year old 5litre supercars are the cheapest to tax :rolleyes:

How many camper vans and 30 year old 5litre supercars do you think there is in this country?:)

What's rediculous is that an insurance company gives you classic cover for a car which is 20+ year old but you still have to pay full road tax until the car is 30+ year old....
So, a 911SC cost you about €550 full comprehensive per year and about €1109 of road tax per year :mad:.

ely said:
Vat is applied to all cars less than 6 months old regardless whether they were purchased within the EU.

I don't think that this is correct. The rule is that there must be less than 6,000 km on the clock when it is imported. More in this thread.

VAT is payable on all cars imported from outside th EU regardless of age.

Back