€440 battery for nearly new BMW 218

BMW have a system where you need the battery registered, this allows it to only be charged by the alternator when necessary.
Registering is trivial, if you've the right obd2 scanner. But helps BMW to add another (I'd guess) 150 euro to cost of changing a battery.

An unregistered BMW battery will die early because it's being overcharged - but seems the battery isn't dead in this case. Something to keep in mind if you decide to change a BMW battery yourself.

I've never really seen the implications, perceived or otherwise of this spelt out explicitly. Anyone know what's the story there explicitly?
I'm not sure if it's still in place but at one point the contract sought to restrict buyers to a legally binding SIMI arbitration process that would mean you don't have recourse to the courts if you are not satisfied with the outcome. Remember, the SIMI is funded by the dealers to represent their interests.

I've seen it mentioned above and in other motoring threads about the SIMI sales contract being used as some kind of get out of consumer protection card for car dealerships.

I've never really seen the implications, perceived or otherwise of this spelt out explicitly. Anyone know what's the story there explicitly?
Maybe a friendly SIMI representative could post a copy of the current contract for review. Or a new car buyer could post their copy, suitably redacted.

Why anyone would give BMW their hard-earned is beyond me, particularly when they are starting to roll out this craic:

Why the fixation with manufacturers' warranties? In consumer law, our recourse in the case of faulty goods is against the seller.
Because with a new car it’s easier claim against the manufacturer warranty and if it’s there it’s what the seller will use anyway.

Back