€34,000 for 6 months

frunzy

Hi all,
We have €34k to put way for around 6 months, we are getting some work done in house then thus the 6 months. We have been offered 4.1% (3.28% net) by EBS, does any one know is there anything better out there, our net gain would be a whopping €470.
Thanks in advance

Anglo Irish Bank are currently offering 4.95% for deposits with 3 months notice and 4.50 for 1 month notice.

Also 34000 x 4.1% x 6 months is 697 Gross less DIRT 20% = 558 not 470
Anglo = 34000 * 4.95 x 6 mts= 841 less DIRT = 672

You can do better than 4.1% gross CAR especially if you split the money between different accounts. See the Financial Best Buys forum for details of the latest high rate deposit accounts.

Bank of Ireland have a 3 mth bond at 4.5% gross. the term can be extended to six mths. Money can be withdrawn at anytime. Minimum of 25k to open. I suggest to do 6 mths here at 25K and the rest in Rabo at 5%.

Where can you get better than 4.5% (Exludeing Northern Rock and First Active products) ??

thanks lads, This post will be deleted if not edited immediately are on the ball! thnaks for taking the time to research & reply especially during this silly season. I will look in to theanglo irish thing for sure. I hate getting ripped off and the extra few bob is better in my pocket.

Where can you get better than 4.5% (Exludeing Northern Rock and First Active products) ??
Why exclude them!? And Rabo are currently offering 5% on €10K (with the possibility of opening multiple accounts in some circumstances - e.g. spouse, kids etc.) and while their rate is due to fall to 3.75% in January maybe they will announce something soon about the rate staying higher than that? And you could drip feed an EBS 7% regular saver with €1K p.m. for the 6 months and then cash in for a bit more interest. And so on...

Clubman where (after 10K @ Rabo) would you put a lump sum of 30K for example?

The original poster said "we" so I presume that there are at least two of them. And they didn't stipulate that it must be a single account. To get the best deposit interest returns will require a big of juggling of multiple accounts in most cases - e.g. 2 x less than (to avoid the lower rate) €15K in FA at 5.22%. The rest in Rabo (5% at the moment), NR (4.5% + 0.5% CAR bonus for January/February on accounts open at the end of the year) etc. Maybe drip feed one or more open ended 7% regular saver accounts (EBS is the most flexible as far as I know). Do you get it now?

If you fancy a flutter you could put some in Prize Bonds.
Guaranteed not to lose money (apart from what you'll lose from inflation), but in with a chance of some winnings.
Better yet, get an American Express Blue, use it to buy €34k of Prize Bonds online, then you'll get €340 back from Amex just for using the card!

Better yet, get an American Express Blue, use it to buy €34k of Prize Bonds online, then you'll get €340 back from Amex just for using the card!
Maybe not?

Where is it on their website? The link in the Financial Best Buys forum no longer works. Are you sure that they're still offering it?

Possibly not. I got mine recently, August I reckon. It was advertised on their website, but I notice their website has changed and I can no longer find reference to Amex Blue.
Anyway, it was an ordeal just to get the application form.
My story is here:
http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=46612#15
Post #15

American Express state the following:
http://www.americanexpress.com/ireland/personal_cards/american_express_blue_credit_card.shtml

Seems like Bank of Ireland don't want to publicise their issuing of AmExBlue.
I remember reading on another post that they get less revenue out of it than for other cards.