€300k shares in Kerry plc. Should I sell some to pay off tracker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You said in your original post that your OH thinks you should sell enough shares to clear the mortgage. Has she changed her mind or are you ignoring her as well as the 90% here?

She is happy enough like I said we get around 2k in dividends during summer which usual goes towards a nice holiday and I sell 4K worth at christmas time and we usually splash out a bit at christmas and that helps to keep her sweet.

I didn't count either but was just using galwaypat's own figure from the post previous to that. Even if the figure was 100% I think he has a lot more to worry about by going against his wife's opinion. She might be happy enough now but that could change. Hopefully not though.

I've not counted the votes, but I'd respectfully suggest that the original poster is ignoring closer to 98% of the posters here ;)
Your good at percentages so whats the pecentage of increase since they went on the stock market back in 1986 for 52p a share to today trading at 94 euro

Galway Pat initiated the thread looking for advice on his options with his Kerry holding,he is blinded by the extraordinary rise 40% this year so far.His reply to Mr Earl suggests to me that he has no intention of taking any of the sensible avenues open to him.I don't think their is much point in arguing the toss with him any longer.For his sake I hope they continue on the rise.

Your good at percentages so whats the pecentage of increase since they went on the stock market back in 1986 for 52p a share to today trading at 94 euro

This is the important point.

How many companies succeed like that. Very few.

How many repeat that success. None.

Your mother bought you a winning lottery ticket. Cash it in.

So what? Shareholders of once great companies have said the same for years.

You looked for advice and you’ve received it; retaining these shares is reckless in the extreme, but it sounds like you’re gonna plough your own furrow. Whether the company is Kerry, Microsoft, Apple, Diageo, Unilever, or whoever, you should derisk your family balance sheet and sell these shares.

Last edited:
The reason people are suggesting you sell is that you are putting all your eggs in one basket.

Let me try a different approach to outline why this may be a bad idea.

The situation is that you think you should keep the shares, your wife thinks you should sell.

If you keep them

If Kerry shares return a brilliant performance over the next 10 years, you get a financial benefit, but no marital benefit. Your wife is unlikely to thank you for being right when she was wrong. This is an unlikely result.

If Kerry shares return anywhere between a solid performance and a poor performance over the next 10 years, you get no financial benefit, and no marital benefit. Your wife is unlikely to thank you for ignoring her advice. This is the most likely result.

If Kerry shares tank. You suffer a financial loss and a double marital loss. You ignored her advice AND you lost money.

If you sell them (and invest in a broad equity portfolio or anything similar)

Marital bonus straightaway. You took her advice.

If Kerry shares return a brilliant performance over the next 10 years, you actually loose nothing. Of course there will be an "If only" feeling. But You will get to come back here and say "I told you so"

If Kerry shares return anywhere between a solid performance and a poor performance over the next 10 years, you will get the same with a broad based investment. This is the most likely result.

If Kerry shares tank. You have dodged the bus.

Thanks creamegg my head is wrecked I think I will park the idea for a while and we will leave it at that. Happy Christmas and a prosperous new year to all on here thanks again.
Pat

Good man Pat, is that your subtle way of telling us all you are going to completely disregard all advice and continue your love affair with Kerry.

Thanks creamegg my head is wrecked I think I will park the idea for a while and we will leave it at that. Happy Christmas and a prosperous new year to all on here thanks again.
Pat

Your head will be even more wrecked it the proverbial hits the fan with regard to Kerry.

It appears that close to 2/3 of your wealth is wedded to the fortunes of a single share.

That is utterly insane.

Put it another way, if you had €300,000 in cash, would you think that it’d be a good idea to invest it all in Kerry plc?

Sell virtually all of them and keep a relatively small amount (say €10k) for sentimental reasons and to retain an interest.

And do it now, not after Christmas. And then enjoy your Christmas, safe in the knowledge that your family’s financial future is secure. Because as things stand, you’re being a head in the sand merchant.

Still hasn't answered the most important question, which is does he still have the losses on the IL&P shares to use against the annual sale of shares. At the very least he should consider this aspect to legally avoid tax implications and perhaps look after his family a bit better.
He also stated at the beginning that things are tight, now it seems that's not the case.
Basing investment on the Silas Marner approach and leaving value in the drawer seems a waste of good fortune to me.

Past performance.......

Go speak with someone who had a significant amount of wealth tied up in the likes of Anglo Irish Bank, or AIB, before those companies collapsed and the investors lost everything.

I have absolutely nothing against Kerry (and actually hold a few shares in the company myself, as it happens).

I'll sign off this thread by wishing you a Merry Christmas and all the best for 2018.

Hard to tell if this thread is about selling shares or a marital counselling service :D

My 2 cents is sell them, clear your debts and move on. No head wrecking needed.

Hard to tell if this thread is about selling shares or a marital counselling service :D

My 2 cents is sell them, clear your debts and move on. No head wrecking needed.

indeed , the comments about the OP,s personal life are unfair

i strongly agree with the view the OP should cash in however , kerry has performed spectacularly well for him , you can never time the top to perfection or the bottom , retaining a small token amount of shares would be a way to keep some interest in the company

the stock has done so well , even he sold and put all the money in a boring broad based fund , he is virtually guarenteed to grow his wealth modestly as he clearly has patience , he has held kerry for so long

@galwaypat I have not been following the thread, but popped in this morning as I was surprised it was still active.

I see the challenge you have - you have a solid share that has done well for you over a very long period of time. You would like to stay on that ride and get the most out of it, but it is not possible to time the market. You also have your eggs in one basket, which is of course a dangerous place to be.

Take a similar type of company - Apple. It has done great and has had a number of reincarnations over the years. But it also has had major price fluctuation along the way. Can you handle your investment dropping to 200k or below overnight if something negative comes out about Kerry. What happens if we have another scandal in the agri sector - either here or abroad?

The fool hardy thing to do is think Kerry will continue to rise the way it has risen over the last while. Past performance and all that stuff..
The sensible thing is to divest the portfolio and take the massive gains you have made.
The balanced thing to do is to sell some of the shares before Christmas - say 100k - and then decide what will happen in the New Year. At least you have taken steps in the right direction

I know if I was sitting on 300k of anything - whether it be bitcoin or Kerry shares, I would be taking some of the profits now and going on a nice holiday for the family and smiling at my good fortune [and of course paying down the mortgage] !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back