€1500 per month - advice needed?

OnLooker

I am 26 years old & am currently earning 45k a yr. I have a house a few years now & currently saving €1500 a month in Northern Rock. I have 25k in savings split between Rabo (10k) & Northern Rock (15k, topping up every month). I also have a company pension which I contribute €200 a month.

Is there any options open to me to make my money work harder?

It's hard to say based on the partial information posted but I would be looking at the following first:
  1. Reducing or clearing any non mortgage debts that you might have.
  2. Reducing the mortgage
  3. Increasing pension contributions
  4. Looking for short/medium/long term savings/investments that match your specific short/medium/long term goals.
  5. Diversifying/balancing things better between property (your home), equities (your pension?) and cash deposits (the rest of your savings).
Have you read the key topics and in particular the AAM and IFSRA guides to savings & investments. Have you considered getting independent, professional advice?

It's hard to say based on the partial information posted but I would be looking at the following first:
  1. Reducing or clearing any non mortgage debts that you might have.
  2. Reducing the mortgage
  3. Increasing pension contributions
  4. Looking for short/medium/long term savings/investments that match your specific short/medium/long term goals.
  5. Diversifying/balancing things better between property (your home), equities (your pension?) and cash deposits (the rest of your savings).
Have you read the key topics and in particular the AAM and IFSRA guides to savings & investments. Have you considered getting independent, professional advice?

I have no non-mortgage debts. The place I own is rented out so is there any point in paying off any more of the mortgage because I would be exposed to pay more rental income.

I will be increasing pension contributions in the coming months but this won't effect my monthly savings of €1500. Quite a lot of houses are coming down in price in my local area so I am keeping an eye on the market over the coming 5/6 months for any opportunites as I still live at home but I am open to any other opinions on how to invest this money.

I can live comfortably saving €1500 a month. By the end of this year, I will have 40k in savings.

I have no non-mortgage debts. The place I own is rented out so is there any point in paying off any more of the mortgage because I would be exposed to pay more rental income.
I assumed that it was your PPR hence the suggestion that you might consider reducing the mortgage. Where are you living? Have you discharged any tax liabilities that may have arisen from the rental of the property that you own? There are good arguments for having an interest only mortgage on a rental property:

Interest only mortgage
I will be increasing pension contributions in the coming months but this won't effect my monthly savings of €1500.
Why not? You might want to consider increasing your pension contributions up to and including your age related pension relief limit (15% of gross earnings in your case).
Quite a lot of houses are coming down in price in my local area so I am keeping an eye on the market over the coming 5/6 months for any opportunites as I still live at home but I am open to any other opinions on how to invest this money.
Oh - you live at home. Refer to my original point above in case you bought your property ostensibly as an owner occupier but then rented it out meaning that you may have a significant stamp duty clawback bill. I presume that you are PRTB registered and paying income tax on rental income. Don't forget that you will probably be liable for CGT on any resale gain on the property.

Quite a lot of houses are coming down in price in my local area so I am keeping an eye on the market over the coming 5/6 months for any opportunites as I still live at home but I am open to any other opinions on how to invest this money.

Given the short time scale for when you say you want to react to any opportunities (to buy a PPR I'm assuming) that arise putting your money into NR is probably the best course of action. Anything with a better potential return is likely to be riskier and require a longer investment term. You could have transaction costs if you put the savings into something else and then want to release it again shortly after.

Given the short time scale for when you say you want to react to any opportunities (to buy a PPR I'm assuming) that arise putting your money into NR is probably the best course of action.
Well €10K in Rabo and the rest in NR is probably the best option if deposits are the only choice unless you also consider some of the regular saver accounts that might have few gotchas/lock-ins.

Well €10K in Rabo and the rest in NR is probably the best option if deposits are the only choice unless you also consider some of the regular saver accounts that might have few gotchas/lock-ins.

Yes, that would optimise the continued savings approach..

Back